Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    matt614 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
    'Strange' (to me) outdoor GFI outlet
    I have outdoor halogens controlled by a transformer, which is then plugged into an outdoor receptacle that must be a GFI, but without an apparent reset. It has two small (1/4" diameter each) round dials that are green and red. They look like they are supposed to be turned and not pushed in to reset.

The other day it rained a lot and the next day when I switched the lights on outside, I heard a clicking sound for about 1/2 second and saw no lights. During the day, I went up to the transformer and GFI box, which is next to it, while my wife tried to push the lights on from inside. I identified the clicking as coming from the outlet and not the transformer (saved money there!). I just cannot identify how to reset this GFI or what. Has anyone ever seen a unit like this? By the way, the breaker in the garage is fine and was not tripped.

Thank you
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Can you provide a clear picture of the outlet, or a make and model number?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gfi outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I just moved into the house in May. I believe the gfi outlet was working when the inspector inspected our house, but it seemed soon after it stopped working. We tried to press the reset button just in case the test button was pressed and nothing happens (meaning it won't depress or anything). Just...

Outdoor electrical outlet keeps tripping gfci outlet [ 3 Answers ]

Until just recently my christmas decorations would light up when we plugged them into the outdoor electrical outlet. Now when we plug it in the gfci outlet in the garage keeps getting tripped and the lights won't come on. Even when we reset the gfci, once we plug in the chord it gets tripped...

GFI outlet [ 1 Answers ]

In my bathroom the existing gfi outlet tripped and would not reset. I figured it was gfi problem and bought new one. It is a 20 AMP outlet. I installed acccording to installation procedures and have a solid red light on GFI and button won't stay in to reset. This is a four wire setup with a load...

GFI Outlet [ 6 Answers ]

I recently did some extra wiring in my backyard. I tapped into the existing electrical outlet attached to my house. That outlet is hooked to a 120V GFI outlet located in my garage. Also on the same circuit are the electrical outlets to all my bathrooms. The power was working fine after I...

GFI Outlet [ 1 Answers ]

Will a GFI outlet provide proper protection if it is installed in an existing 2-wire, 120 VAC electrical system?

View more questions Search