Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dang1414 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Can't start my chipper/shredder
    I have an mtd 5.5hp chipper shredder. Each year the fist start in the spring has been difficult, but persistence has always gotten it running. This year I just can't get it to go. After multiple tries I smell exhaust, but I don't think the engine is turning over anymore than the pull cord causes it to do. The gas doesn't smell, but I still suspect that it may be gelled. I'm about as far from a small engine mechanic as you can get, but I'm still hoping some one can give me some advice on how to get this thing going again.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Your carburetor is likely gummed up, I would change gas, use highest octane, clean carburetor and jets. Be sure petcock not clogged, verify gas making it to carb.
    You could put teaspoon of gas in spark plug hole, try cranking, if it runs briefly, you will know it IS a fuel related problem.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 03:58 PM
    Stratmando is probably correct. Remove the carb and clean. Remove the fuel tank and flush with carb cleaner, if it is equipped with a fuel filter, replace the fuel filter. One thing that makes it more difficult to start the chippers is that they have a direct drive to the chipping chute, be sure the chute is clear, ONLY CHECK THE CHUTE WITH THE SPARK PLUG REMOVED FROM THE ENGINE!! Our reps tell us that fuel should only be used for 30 days. I think you will find that the carb is gummed up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 8.5hp chipper/shredder [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to remove the heavy, castiron impeller from the crankshaft? I have the protective housing removed and can't figure out how the impeller slides off the shaft. Any ideas?

Duerr chipper, shredder, blower,bagger [ 2 Answers ]

In the recent wind storm a 100' fir tree fell on my shed crushing my 13 year old Duerr chipper(shredder, blower,bagger). I have an insurance claim and am supposed to locate the approximate original price of the machine. I am using my brother-in-laws computer to try to locate you for some answers....

B & S model# 121412 Chipper/Shredder- Cam Setting [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the cam setting of a Briggs & Stratton model 121412 Chipper/Shredder.

MTD 5.5HP Chipper/Shredder [ 25 Answers ]

I have the mentioned unit and I can't get it to turn over. It has a pull string starter and it doesn't seem to generate a spark. Should I check the plugs. I don't use it much and did not drain it for storage. But I have a lot of debris from branches that came doen in a storm so I really need it. ...

View more questions Search