Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schmidtster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 06:16 PM
    Subfloor over concrete under shower base?
    Hi, I am wondering if it is a good idea to put a subflloor over the basement concrete under the shower base or if I should just use mortar or even PL200 glue.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 20, 2006, 11:41 AM
    Are you using a pre-built shower base?

If so, then I would NOT put down a subfloor. Unless it was a cementatious type. (Hardi, DuRock, etc). Even then, as long as the floor was level, clean and relatively free of cracks, I would probably still not put down a subfloor.

Depending on the manufacturer of the sub-base, they may require that it be laid in a mortar bed.

These are just my thoughts. I would suggest to wait to see what Tom (Speedball1) has to say.

Dan
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2006, 01:55 PM
    Please post plumbing questions on the plumbing page.
    Thank you, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing shower base [ 6 Answers ]

Tom, I have a new question. In setting a shower base, on concrete, how much mortar should a person spread, just a couple inches around the drain? Or, should it be more than that. Also, what's the deal in the instructions about putting plastic over the mortar? The base wouldn't be stuck down with...

Shower base... [ 7 Answers ]

Not sure if this is a pluming question or tiling question, so sorry if this is the wrong place to ask. I'm still working on my master bathroom project (some of you may remember me from my "moving a toilet" question). Well, everything is roughed in in its new locations and I am starting to...

Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the...

Concrete Shower Base [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace what was an all plastic shower stall located in my basement with a more substantial structure. All of the plumbing is in place but as part of my project I have studded out one wall so that I could re-route the hot and cold water lines inside the new wall. Because of this...

Shower stall base [ 3 Answers ]

I purchased a house with an unfinished half bath. The shower base was not installed. There is a cast iron pipe coming up through the slab.there is a drain leaded into the pipe with a flange and a liner that is cut off,and a threaded 2" drain screwed into it,it has been there a long time and I...

View more questions Search