Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CraigC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 03:01 PM
    Water Heater Supply Leak
    Hello. I have a 40 gallon Water heater that is approximately 11 years old. The supply lines have started to pool water in the recessions and then trickle down the tank. This just started. Before I used to hear the tank bubble when I would turn on the washing-machine. What do you suggest I do? I really don't see the leak anywhere and wonder if it is coming up from the tank itself. Any ideas what to do? By the way it is a natural gas water heater if that really matters. Thank you for your time.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 19, 2006, 03:22 PM
    Ahh Craig! To repair or replace? They give the average life of a water heater at 8 years. If the leaks are in the threads, and not a boiler weld, the heater can be saved. Just shut the water off and cutthe copper lines, unscrew the male adapters and teflon tape the threads with 7 turns of tape and reinstall. Connect the supplies with couplings. As for your noise, let me take the mystry out of it for you. If you do not flush,(not drain) your heater on a regular basis it will build up mineral on the bottom of the tank. When the flame comes on it turns the water trapped under the mineral to steam and the steam escaping is what you hear. Let me show you how to flush your heater. Attach a hose to the boiler drain at the bottom of the tank. With the pressure on, open the boiler drain and let it run until the water runs clear. You will see a spurt of red,(rust) and some white grains,(lime or calcium carbonate). The whole thing shouldn't take more then a few minutes. Don't forget to flush it out every month. Your heater will thank you for it. You might want to consider cleaning the screens on your areators if you have a high mineral buildup. If thev problem still persists after you have flushed, you will have to drain the heater, remove the boiler drain and go up in the bottom of the tank with a wood or plastic rod, (not metal) and try to break up the mineral and flush it out.
    Repair or replace? Your choice. Oh yeah, I have a water heater that came with the house when it was built in 1954. Still working and supplying the house with hot water. But then I've flushed it every month for the last 52 years. Good luck, Tom
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 03:35 PM
    Draining your tank now and then is a great idea. But be prepared for the drain to leak. Either replace your drain with a good ball valve, or have a garden hose thread cap handy.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 03:36 PM
    I would also start saving for a new water heater. Lol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Water supply for new bath [ 10 Answers ]

Tom, I'm beginning to work on my water supply lines and have gotten most of the materials. I wanted to know if I should be concerned with backflow devices of any sort? Also, the plummer at H.D. told me that the male adapters that would connect my copper pipe to my shower faucet would not...

Water heater leak [ 11 Answers ]

I'm trying to make sure that I need a new water heater before I go buy one.I live in a mobile home which I purchased 3 years ago.I am assuming that the existing water heater is the original one that came with the home which would make it approx 18 years old.I work third shift and last night just...

Toilet Water Supply Problem [ 3 Answers ]

I have just recently finished installing a new toilet in my bathroom (Much thanks to Speedball1) and I have run into a problem connecting the water supply. I have a half inch CPVC coming out of the wall to the shut off valve, on top of the shut off valve is 5/8" compression in CPVC. So far I...

View more questions Search