Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 25, 2008, 03:12 PM
    Dani,
    Try adoption.com. There are message boards. There are blogs. There is a ton of information at this site. There is as well a registry. I do not know if you will be able or not to register with them if you are under the age of 18. But you could try. Then there is a teen adoption zone. Where adopted teens go to voice there concerns and find support. I do not know the website addy offhand. But you can try putting: Teen who are adopted in your browser and see what pops up? Or try: Google Alert - Professional Web Alerts, which is a great search engine.
    Most of the information that I have gathered about this issue was obtained through open browser searches through Google or through search and support sites located at yahoogroups or googlegroups. But you can also make a webpage or blog about why you desire to find your first family, etc.
    Something as easy as: adopted - Information from Reference.com
    May explain the complex issue surrounding adoption. Once looking at this site, even for someone who had searched, belonged, reunited, and found -FOR FREE- still finds additional information online to learn!
    If it is in your heart to know. Do everything you can to find out. It is far too sad that this country feels that adoption is something to be so closed minded about.
    There are millions of adopted children. Some decide to search, while others do not.
    It is a personal choice. But what runs in your veins wasn't a choice.
    Hope this helps. You are NOT alone.
    For instance:
    Open adoption is where the adopted person has access to their file and/or original records. This may be a right available at certain ages - e.g. at age 18, a person adopted in the United Kingdom becomes automatically entitled to their birth certificate and may access their adoption records.

In the U.S. the adults adopted as children can only access their birth records in Alabama, Alaska, Kansas, New Hampshire, and Oregon.

Again, try adoption.com, do a browser search. Start a blog about your feeling's. Tell the world how you feel. Get it out. Release it. Learn as much as you can related to this issue. And once you are an adult, no one should ever tell you that you shouldn't have a right to know. Especially if there was no closed adoption agreement to begin with at the time. It is a matter of Civil Liberties that are and have been taken away from many of its adopted citizens and this needs to stop, once and for all. I answer these questions related to adoption issues on this board, to try to help people like yourself. You are NOT alone. And whatever you feel now, maynot be what you may feel in a year from now, and then in 10 years from now you may go back to wanting to know, where 20 years from now something else.
    But once you turn 18, you should be treated as a adult. Not a child any further. Good or bad. Reunion or no reunion. You should have unquestionable access to YOUR records. All of them. And if you decide to contact your family, may it be just a phone call away for you. It will then be their choice to either answer it or let the machine pick it up. It will be their decision to call back or even have their number changed. And if that is their choice, at least they had/have one.
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 25, 2008, 03:52 PM
    I'm sorry you are hurting so much! I was also adopted, although I don't remember my birth parents. I can't imagine how hard it would be if I had known them, or if I was missing a sister like you are. So my heart goes out to you.

I do think that talking to a counselor might help right now. If your adopted mom doesn't want to take you, you could always talk to a counselor or teacher at school. Or maybe a youth leader or religious leader (if that applies to you). Another thing is that there are support groups for people who are adopted. I think it's called "Anonymous by Adoption", at least that is the name of the group where I live. You might want to look for meetings in the newspaper or online. It's a good place to talk about your feelings and struggles about being adopted. There are many people there who understand how you are feeling. They might also have good advice on how you can find your sister when you are 18.

I haven't tried to find my bio. Mom, so I don't have much advice to give you on that. But the people at the support groups might have good ideas about how to do that once you are 18. Just be really careful if you are going to look online; don't give out your personal information and protect yourself.
    dani1314151617 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2008, 05:09 PM
    Thanks I hope that soon I will be talking to my mom again
    FeelSoNumbZombie Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Feb 26, 2008, 12:00 PM
    Adult Adoptee Blog, Adopted Adult Blog - Category: Children/Teens

This link may guide you in the right direction. You can also try your local library and see if you can take out books such as The Face in the Mirror, etc
    http://www.mnasap.org/information/Fa...kListTeens.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want him so badly! [ 14 Answers ]

He is my friend's ex and I have only seen him once for less than 5mins some time last year and apparently they broke up sometime back. So I spoke to him last week for the first time because of some misunderstanding that happened between me and my friend. Then he went away for easter holiday and...

Can NON bio dad sue bio mom for C/S ? [ 10 Answers ]

I am divorced from ex . Who has been a father figure to my oldest daughter for 15 1/2 years . She is 16 (17 in June of 07) . If she decides to move in with him . Can he sue me for C/S ? He is NOT the bio dad . And he does NOT have legal custody of her at this time . Can he sue me for C/S , or will...

I want him back so badly [ 4 Answers ]

I really love this ma, n I can't get over it, it been a while and I couldn't I tried my best but I could not over come it I want him back I want him back I want him back,, some body tell me what should i do .........

I need help badly [ 3 Answers ]

I have very dark spots on both cheeks. I have tried Neutrogena Chemical Peel along with Neutrogena Skin Block. This has not helped. Could you please suggest what skin whitener I could use to get rid of these spots?:eek:

View more questions Search