At 7 windings
    Sec is 28ga wire 3 1/2 dia 14 1/2 '' tall 1080 windings
    Can't get any spark at the spark gap
    Seems like caps are not charging

Can anyone help
    THANKS
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Mar 5, 2008, 06:46 PM
    WJ, I can't help you but did want to say, Great Work... Fun... hope it fires for you. ST
    BinaryBedlam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 10:20 AM
    wjyates,

Judging by the date of your original question, I'm guessing you already have an answer, but I'd like to respond anyway in case others stumble across your post with the same question.

For some reason, on all the articles written about Tesla Coils out there, this is never brought up.

You are correct, your capacitor is not even charging. This is because you are using a flyback/ignition coil for your HV source instead of a neon sign transformer (NST). You are operating it at well over 60 Hz with your 555 timer, right? Probably something like 1kHz or more, right? So think about the output of the ignition coil, sure it's high voltage, but its also high frequency AC. What is AC? Back and forth. You are charging and draining the capacitor like a thousand times before it ever has a chance to fire across your spark gap.

Solution? You need to rectify your ignition coil's output with diodes thus making a DC Tesla coil, OR you could use a HV supply with a much lower frequency, like an NST. An NST will still output AC, BUT the frequency is low enough that the caps will at least have a chance to charge up and fire across the spark gap before the voltage swings the other way.

Hope this helps,
    BinaryBedlam

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Outside Condsing Unit, Bad indoor Coil - Go with Heat Pump or Buy New Coil? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, Here is my issue. Recently, our home warranty company paid to replace a 25 year old 7 SEER Borg Warner outside unit, but swore up and down that the indoor Borg Warner Coil would be OK with the new 10 SEER Carrier. We no longer have this home warranty company and they are not standing...

Timer Client/Caf [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings fine folk, 1) First time posting so if I mess up or this is the wrong forum please have mercy :) 2) I work for a medium public library and we are looking for a timer client/café timer for the 12 PCs we have available for library patron use. These 12 PCs are connected to the Internet...

Can I be pregnant with the coil? [ 2 Answers ]

Help me? can I be pregnant I have the coil fitted were your not suppose 2 have periods.ive had the coil now for a year no periods all that time and a few months back I had a period (twice)and now my boobs are sooooooooo sore and I fill sick now and then,do you think I could be pregnant?? thanks

Tesla Coil [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have good plans for a vacuum tube tesla coil? I built the spark gap variety years ago and would now like to explore a vacuum tube version. I'm looking for something fairly small and manageable - not those massive designs with a gazillion volt potential . :eek: Thanks...

View more questions Search