Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feelingstupid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 10:33 AM
    No cold air return ducts
    After living in this house for a number of years, and always complaining about the inconsistent heat temperatures (upstairs cold in winter and hot in summer with a/c on), I took off the cold air return duct covers (which, incidentally, are only located on the first floor) to vacuum as I always do about once a year; but, this time, I took a flash light and a mirror to see where it is going. Lo, and behold, I saw only the tops of ducts crossing this way and that. My question is: If this area is the return duct, shouldn't I be looking INTO a duct rather than on top of ducts? I can see the underside of my hardwood floors.
    coolmen Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Feb 9, 2008, 10:58 AM
    It is OK to use a wall cavity as a return chase. For one reason or another hvac co. may or maynot use duct in the wall as a return. You must use metal duct for the supply side. Run the systems fan and see if air draws into the vent. It not you have duct problems in the basement. When installing airconditioning adding return air to the second floor area is critical for the cooling to work properly. Call in a hvac co. to look it over

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No cold air return ducts [ 2 Answers ]

After living in this house for a number of years, and always complaining about the inconsistent heat temperatures (upstairs cold in winter and hot in summer with a/c on), I took off the cold air return duct covers (which, incidentally, are only located on the first floor) to vacuum as I always do...

Cold air return [ 2 Answers ]

I have a newer house that is about 5 Yrs old. The second floor is always a little cooler than the first floor in the winter and hotter in the summer. The master bedroom and bath are always colder or warmer than the rest of the second floor and even more than the first floor. I have tried to...

Rust on tin ducts and galvanized cold air returns [ 4 Answers ]

We had a fire to the hot tub pump inside the house. The restoration company cleaned all of the PVC smoke particulate from all of the ducting and cold air returns. There is no moisture present. Air scrubbers are still running in the house. We now have powdery rust on 8' runs of ducting and the...

Cables through cold air return ducts? [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement my return air is done by enclosing floor joists. Can I run cables through the 'duct' by drilling two holes and pulling my cable through the duct at 90 degs. Thanks :o

Position of Cold Air Ducts [ 2 Answers ]

After 30 years, we are remodeling our home (alot of grandchildren). In the living room there is one cold air duct in the North side of the room (21' x 13" 9 1/2"). Just West of the living room is the front bedroom (15' x 9' 8"). In that room there is a cold air duct in the East wall right by the...

View more questions Search