Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feelingstupid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 10:24 AM
    No cold air return ducts
    After living in this house for a number of years, and always complaining about the inconsistent heat temperatures (upstairs cold in winter and hot in summer with a/c on), I took off the cold air return duct covers (which, incidentally, are only located on the first floor) to vacuum as I always do about once a year; but, this time, I took a flash light and a mirror to see where it is going. Lo, and behold, I saw only the tops of ducts crossing this way and that. My question is: If this area is the return duct, shouldn't I be looking INTO a duct rather than on top of ducts? I can see the underside of my hardwood floors.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 07:00 PM
    Your duct has came apart and is down or it was never installed. They don't work good with out the return air. You got one good thing going I bet you didn't spend a lot on filters if you use a filter grill.
    eagark Posts: 14, Reputation: 3

Feb 10, 2008, 02:01 AM
    There is a chance you are actually looking at a very poor attempt to install the return air. I have seen some pretty shabby jobs in my experience, and never am surprised anymore. It is a simple test to put the grille back on, and turn on your fan on the furnace, and then hold a piece of paper up to the grille, and see if there is enough suction to hold the paper to the grille. This would indicate that possibly it is at least partially working as a return air. Other than that, you may need an expert to verify the existence of the return air. The danger is that the furnace may draw air from innapropriate areas like the water heater vent, which could create a negative pressure and draw flue gasses into the duct system. I have seen this on several occasions, and it can be dangerous. Good Luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold air return [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Is it OK to have a cold air return at the upper wall location vs. near the floor? I just had an old furnace taken out of the main floor and I had one installed in the basement. The installers put the cold air return up on the main floor in a duct located up high piping directly...

Rust on tin ducts and galvanized cold air returns [ 4 Answers ]

We had a fire to the hot tub pump inside the house. The restoration company cleaned all of the PVC smoke particulate from all of the ducting and cold air returns. There is no moisture present. Air scrubbers are still running in the house. We now have powdery rust on 8' runs of ducting and the...

Cables through cold air return ducts? [ 1 Answers ]

In my basement my return air is done by enclosing floor joists. Can I run cables through the 'duct' by drilling two holes and pulling my cable through the duct at 90 degs. Thanks :o

Cold air return [ 4 Answers ]

1930 house 3 stories. Cold air returns go from main floor straight down to basement through galvanized pipe and end about 8 inches from floor. Not connected to anything. Shouldn't they run to the furnace?

Position of Cold Air Ducts [ 2 Answers ]

After 30 years, we are remodeling our home (alot of grandchildren). In the living room there is one cold air duct in the North side of the room (21' x 13" 9 1/2"). Just West of the living room is the front bedroom (15' x 9' 8"). In that room there is a cold air duct in the East wall right by the...

View more questions Search