Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 09:26 AM
    Caucus
    Hello:

You'd think that with all my BS about politics, that I'd know how to caucus. You'd be wrong. I ain't never been to one, and I'm going today. I don't know what to do. Isn't it going to be crowded? I mean the whole damn state is going to be there.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
    Never been to one myself. As I understand it ,your state has both primaries and caucus and each party handles the results differently . No wonder you are confused. Local News | Caucus? Primary? Voters here can do both | Seattle Times Newspaper

But this is what I found out for you. Apparently your cauci is no different than many other states .

• The Washington State caucus will be on February 9th, 2008.
    • Washington is one of only a handful of states (like Iowa) that uses a caucus system to select the presidential nominees.
    • Caucus goers will gather according to parties at location around the state, and from their break down into smaller groups based on the candidate that they support.
    • Those attendees that are undecided will hear persuasive arguments, negative rhetoric, and perhaps a little old-fashioned whining, as "decideds" try to convince "undecideds" to move to their group.
    • In the Democrat caucuses, the delegates to the state convention will be allocated proportionately based on the number of voters in the candidate's group.
    • In the Republican caucuses, 49% of the delegates are chosen based on the caucus voters, the balance are chosen as a result of the state primary vote.
    What you should do is act like an undecided and let the rest of the group shmooze you . My guess is that you will eventually end up in with the Ronulans. Have fun !
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 06:08 AM
    So how did it go ?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Hello tom:

The turnout was unbelievable. The city seemed to die at 1:00. There wasn't anybody stirring and not a car on the street. It was eery. But, inside the schoolhouse things were rockin. There wasn't a place to sit - standing room only. There was old fashioned politicin going on. There were signs everywhere and people calling out to you. It was your neighbors. It was the guy from the corner store. It was everybody.

It was democracy in action. It was where the rubber meets the road. I loved it. I love my country.

excon
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    It was democracy in action. It was where the rubber meets the road. I loved it. I love my country.
    Sounds like fun. Here - in my heavily Democratic precinct that is - you walk into the school and vote right after the other two people there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search