Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Badger890 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 11:41 AM
    A business selling used items.
    I live in Jacksonville, Florida and have raised four children, by myself, with the help of purchasing items at thrift and consignment stores. Almost every article of clothing, furniture etc. in my home is second hand. At the present time I am very much interested in opening a store of this nature myself but do not know how to get started. I am on a limited budget but realize the abundance of items that are disregarded by many households that could be purchased by people like myself who really cannot afford to buy new. I would like to know about government grants and if they apply to this type of a business, start up costs, locations where this would be most benefitted, etc.
    Thank you, Helen Tabor
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Yard sales
    It has been a while since I have been to jacksonville, so I can't tell you how the laws work there. I know in many areas in GA and TN people have little U-store it buildings where they store all their items and then open on the weekends, ( some open almost all week) others keep their items at more permant flea markets where they rent inside storage and/or booths.

I have actually went around the city of Atlanta when I lived there and collected things out of the trash and sold them. I often made 100 dollars or so on a Saturday from items gotten out of trash cans or left on the side of the road.

If you are looking at a store building, you will need funds for rent, libility insurance at least, and a lot more.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
    Badger890,

First, a caution. 80% of small business fail within the first 3 years of operation.

How can you avoid that?

Create a business plan.
    Create a Cash Flow Budget.

Where will all your money go.

Make sure you plan, plan and plan before you go ahead with this.

I'm not saying don't go through with this, just make sure you are fully prepared first. Where will you get the start up money for the business? Yourself, friends/family, venture capitalist?

You have a great idea I must say. If you pick your market properly, and gets a good rental fee, I think it could be successful.
    klmgb Posts: 114, Reputation: 13

Jan 19, 2006, 06:52 PM
    e-bay!!
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by klmgb
    e-bay!!!!!!
    Lol.

Yes, e-bay works wonders.

But sometimes people would rather go, personally examine the products and then buy them.

And in person, there is no doubt you won't get the item as with eBay, the seller might not send the product to you!
    Badger890 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 12:41 AM
    Your trash is my bread and butter.
    I saw this on the back of a garbage truck. I too have toured the city picking up throw-aways, to my surprise I was able to sell the items and so far have made two hundred dollars. This was just two nights and about three hours each night. I have decided to continue and will find out when certain areas put trash out. I am astonished and wonder what kind of a spoiled society do we live in. I am determined to turn trash into my bread and butter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Menu Items [ 1 Answers ]

How to Enable / disable Menu Items For Windows Programming If Program is to be written in Visual C++

Business to business vs Business to Consumer retail [ 1 Answers ]

How does Business to business retail differ from business to consumer retail?

Selling a newly acquired business [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a business aprox 6 months ago and it was not a good decision. There is no way to boost sales and the equipment is old and falling apart. This was purchased as per my father's encouragement and he signed as a guarantor. Now I want to sell and get out of this mess. I financed through...

Runescape items [ 25 Answers ]

Could someone tell me how much a mind talisman is worth? I a newbie and completely clueless... :confused: :D

DSO Exploit 2 items [ 3 Answers ]

I followed the directions of DSO Exploit by alicka, but I ended up with two entries from the other five.. Please advise...

View more questions Search