Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amtaro13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 03:13 AM
    Not on lease. Am I responsible for fees after ROOMMATE voluntarily breaks lease?
    I live in CA. I have been living with my roommate for a year and a half and her name is the only one on the lease. We both moved into the place together after having just met, but she moved in 1 month early, paid the full deposit and was and still is the only name that has ever appeared on the lease. We had discussed me joining the lease once, but it wasn't a huge priority or necessity to either of us, so I never joined it. After living with her for a while, I learned that she pays the rent late, to the point of a 3 day eviction notice EVERY month, and the rental office knows this, so in the event of her asking me to join the lease, I would have noted that info as a major reason why I didn't want to join the lease. Regardless, I gave her a 30 day notice a few weeks ago that I am moving out. She did mention a few weeks before I gave my notice that she was signing another year lease and wanted to know if I planned on staying. I said for the most part yes, as long as nothing happens or comes up. Very vauge on both our parts. She is now saying that since I am leaving, she is moving out as well, thus breaking the new lease she just signed because in her own words "wont have another roommate" The fee for HER breaking HER lease because SHE doesn't want to find another roommate is 1200 (one months rent). She says I owe her half of that. Mind you, besides the obvois fact that MY NAME NEVER APPEARED ON THE LEASE, she could just as well find another roommate, finish the lease and avoid any and all fees.

My 1st question:
    Does our vague discussion/'verbal agreement" hold up in court making me responsible for any fees or lease liability?

2: Even if a court grants that we had a verbal agreement, does it matter that she is choosing to move out, thus putting the whole burden of the fees on her?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
    I doubt it would hold up in court, especially if the rental office isn't aware you are a roommate, or if her lease says that she isn't allowed to have roommates without their consent. I am taking it that you never signed a year to year or even month to month agreement even with her and you gave her 30 days notice so I do not see that she can stick you with owing anything toward breaking the lease. I can't say you don't owe her anything but it looks more toward your favor.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 03:07 PM
    As far as I know she can't legally stick you with any fees. I was in a similar situation but my roommates were staying, I was leaving and they were gettitng another roommate. They wanted me to pay a third of the carpet damage in the living and dining rooms before I left. I laughed it off, you should do the same.
    mblack24cummins Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2010, 01:55 AM
    She can not get you with anything, but if you had signed anything legal you would owe her

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

No lease, I am responsible [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, I have a situation... My rent is due on the 1st of every month, after the 15th it is late and there is a fee. But I pay on the 15th every month and my landlord is okay with that. Upon the move in we NEVER signed a lease, just filled out an application, and she told me (verbally) that to...

Ex-girlfriend breaks joint lease.what are my rights? [ 9 Answers ]

My girlfriend's parents did not agree on her living with me, They said they would give me the 50% of the rent for the remainder of the term in one sum... ($4,000). When I came home from work my girl was gone and of course... no check has made it my way. What is the law? She signed the lease...

Landlaw breaks lease [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a lease to move into a house, gave my deposit . 3 days before my move the owner is giving me back my money and breaking the lease . My house is compeletly packed the utilities have been changed everything is done . What expences is he responsible for. Thank you doreen

Tenant Breaks Lease-Option prior to move in [ 1 Answers ]

Recently my townhouse was on the market and I was approached by someone interested in renting to own. After careful thought and advise from friends and family, I decided to proceed. The person listed terms, that were all agreeable to me, so I bought a contract online and which we completed...

View more questions Search