Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    munroe9801 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 09:29 PM
    Slander
    Does another employee telling my supervisor that I should not be allowed to oversee a children's workshop that my company hosts because she feels I am drunk constitute libel or slander? This person knows nothing about my lifestyle. I have never socialized with this person or any other person in the company.:eek:
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 9, 2008, 02:41 AM
    >Moved from Forum Help<
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 04:40 AM
    Hello munroe:

Nahhh. It's just gossip.

excon
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Munroe if that was someone that I worked with and they did that to me I would have them and my boss in court ASAP. Esp, if that refelected on my ability to oversee jobs. There is no way in hell that I would take that lying down.
    If I felt like I could not research it an represent myself, I would hire an attorney if necessary. It really ticks me off for people to spew their lies about others with no regards to the truth. His/her a$$ would prove that I was a drunk. I believe it was slander, will you win? What will you win? Probably nothing ,but taking this @ss to task may make them stop and think before they open their mouth again. This is what I found on slander slander - legal definition
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Munroe if that was someone that I worked with and they did that to me I would have them and my boss in court ASAP. Esp, if that refelected on my ability to oversee jobs. There is no way in hell that I would take that lying down.
    If I felt like I could not research it an represent myself, I would hire an attorney if necessary. It really ticks me off for people to spew their lies about others with no regards to the truth. His/her a$$ would prove that I was a drunk. I believe it was slander, will you win? What will you win? probably nothing ,but taking this @ss to task may make them stop and think before they open their mouth again. This is what I found on slander slander - legal definition

I don't see that there was any harm to this person's reputation - which you need to prove slander.

And, yes, you can pretty much sue anyone at any time for anything - will you win, probably not - and your legal bills can be very, very high. And if there is one kernel of truth in the accusation (which only you know) this can turn back against you.

Plus the truth of who said what - and who will testify to it.

(Note to bushg - I find your language offensive.)
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2008, 09:29 AM
    Judy my post was not intended to offend anyone, it makes me very angry for people to out right lie on others. Maybe I need lessons on how to speak when angry. Hit the button to the right I am sure someone will remove my post. I need a reality check every so often.

Who's to say that it will not effect promotions etc... The boss mentioned it to the employee so I feel like the boss must have given some consideration that the employee could be a drunk. Thank goodness the boss at least gave the employee a chance to defend themselves against the lie. Some bosses would not esp, if they liked the other employee. If it were me I would pursue the matter.
    jp242 Posts: 36, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2008, 05:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    I don't see that there was any harm to this person's reputation - which you need to prove slander.
    One could argue that if said statement kept this person from getting "workshops" (I assume these are paid, not for charity or something) that their business reputation has indeed been harmed and if the other elements of Defamation could be proven, then the person would have a case. I see it is something your company hosts so it probably isn't something you get paid for. I guess since it was said to your boss, it could certainly affect a work relationship and future promotions. If you came to me with a case like this though, I would advise you to file a complaint with HR against the coworker.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 05:35 PM
    When done by word of mouth, as in this case, it is slander. However, in order to make that stick, you have to prove by at least a preponderance of the evidence that you suffered real damages as a result of these comments. In this case, you'd have to prove that your supervisor prevented you from overseeing this workshop because of these remarks, that you suffered real damages as a result and the remarks that were made are unfounded.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 05:37 PM
    I worked for an agency that fired the head cook because people reported she was drinking on the job. It was never verified, in the firing process, just the manager listened to two people who had a big mouth (one who got the job that same day the cook was fired). The person who was fired did sue them and won. She got her unemployment and in a separate suit, she won for slander (from the two gossips) and libel (from the agency) - since it was written in her job performance and listed as the cause for termination.

People who say those nasty things about their co-workers should be brought to task. It is one thing if it is found to be true. Even then, it is not to be told all over the workplace. A truly concerned co-worker would tell the manager or director and let it go at that. It becomes the administrative duty of the director to pursue this and find the truth.

Gossip should not be tolerated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Teenages and Slander [ 8 Answers ]

Hi All I have a question that I think I know the answer to but would really like some feedback. My daughter had a group of three friends. Of the three friends two of them had cell phones and I intercepted a few text messages about the gilrs saying that they were getting high etc. I then told my...

Can I sue for slander? [ 20 Answers ]

About a year ago, while I was pregnant with my daughter, I was arrested on criminal charges (egging a car) and spent hours in jail. This accusation came from a "friend/girlfriend" of my ex boyfriend, my baby's father. I then got an attorney and went forward in the case. Time after time it was...

Slander lawsuit [ 2 Answers ]

I have a ex boyfriend who says he heard from a ex friend that I said he gave me herpes . I did say I thought he gave me herpes but I am not sure and now he is treatening to sue me for slander

Is this slander [ 29 Answers ]

I wrote the following letter to a neighbour after she took me to court for racism. It was totally untrue and I didn't win my appeal either. This neighbour made my life a misery for 2 years. I bit my lip for so long. After receiving a criminal record now, I wrote the letter but also sent it to our...

Does anyone know if this is this slander? [ 7 Answers ]

My husband and I are in the midst of a divorce. He abruptly walked out on me on in December of 2005. I have a ton of circumstancial evidence proving that he is seeing another woman. He is currently residing with his friend and his friend's wife. The wife of his friend is related to his mistress. ...

View more questions Search