Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigRed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 08:45 AM
    Children rights
    Can law enforcement question children without a parent or having an attorney present? What are their rights?
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRed
    Can law enforcement question children without a parent or having an attorney present? What are their rights?
    No I do believe that all minors must have an adult present namely a parent.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Children
    It would depend if the are suspect in a crime, If just asking general question in public, they should ask the parent first, If a the police station, parent and attorney or both must be present, generally. No one has to answer any questions, but one must request that a attorney be present.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Children
    Ok here lies the problem.

First in most cases while we call it "criminal" most states have separate kids court or family court. In there the action of the child is not considered a crime like in adult court. The family court looks at the actions of the child, and the family situation to determine proper guardianship of the child.

They are often not punishing the child but having the child's custody given to the state so that they can be properly shown the correct behavior.
    ( we all know this is a lot of bull, but yes this is the way the system is explained)

But in general the family court investigator, or their representitive can talk to the child without the parents being present in many states. In some this also allows the police to talk to the child also.

The rulings were based on the need to talk to the child about possible child abuse issues but the use has went to allow other investigations also.

So as a parent of 5 boys, a couple who had an opportunity to visit a police station once or twice, I know first hand, the police at least in GA, do not need the parent or an attorney present, but they do have to inform the child of their rights.

We went to an attorney and their talking to the child ( including lying, which the police often do to get someone to confess) was upheld in court.

The family court system works under completely different rules than adult criminal court.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:20 PM
    If the child is being treated as a suspect, then a paretn and/or attorney MUST be present. This is NOT an option for the police. If they don't follow proper procedure, any possibel confession will be thrown out.

If the police are talking to the child as a witness ONLY, then no parent or lawyer needs to be present.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 06:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    If the child is being treated as a suspect, then a paretn and/or attorney MUST be present. This is NOT an option for the police. If they don't follow proper procedure, any possibel confession will be thrown out.

If the police are talking to the child as a witness ONLY, then no parent or lawyer needs to be present.

I will say consult your attorney in your state, I can not say about all states, but from personal experience I know they can and do, in the states I have been a law enforcement officer in and ones I have dealth with for my children and family court does use this info in its hearing, since they don't find them guilty, merely find them as a deliquent and decide custody. The entire system works differntly than adult court.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    I will say consult your attorney in your state, I can not say about all states, but from personal experience I know they can and do, in the states I have been a law enforcement officer in and ones I have dealth with for my children and family court does use this info in its hearing, since they don't find them guilty, merley find them as a deliquent and decide custody. The entire system works differntly than adult court.

Fr Chuck,

You are assuming this person lives in the USA.

BigRed never says where they live. My information applys to anywhere in Canada. Criminal law is a federal issue in Canada. Which is so silly, but that's a whole other debate.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 07:16 PM
    Usa North
    Oh yes, USA north, I have forgotten we have not taken it over yet, don't know why we did not buy it somewhere way back when, but then I still don't know why we bought Alaska either.

( just joking) I have often wished America would adopt some of the social programs you all have up there. That is silly about all being federal, but then the way we do it is all messed up to. Serious crimes get almost no punishment. But then each state having so different punishment and even laws, it drives me nuts at times.

I guess they could even be in some nation where it is OK to drag kids out of their home, beat them and make them confess.

I get some of the same problems I warn others about, I forget that not everyone lives in the USA. Not really use to the global neighborhood yet
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 07:50 PM
    Oh yes, USA north, I have forgotten we have not taken it over yet, don't know why we did not buy it somewhere way back when, but then I still don't know why we bought alaska either.
    Yeah, be glad you didn't. Do you know how long……(40 years) Quebec has been yelling they want to separate?

Now western calls for separation are higher than they have ever been since the early 1980s.

Alaska. You guys bought Alaska (in 1867) because if an invasion came through, America did not think Canada could defend such an attack. Gee, even 140 years ago American thought we had a weak army. Not much ahs changed since then :P American could take us over in a second if they wanted to. It would be easier than the invasion of Iraq.

That is silly about all being federal, but then the way we do it is all messed up to. serious crimes get almost no punishment. but then each state having so different punishment and even laws, it drives me nuts at times.

My stock broker gave me bad advice. I lost my entire $50,000 investment. So I decided to get even. I went to his house one night and I killed him.

I was charged and convicted of Murder in the First degree and was sentenced to life imprisonment. I was not classified as a dangerous offender.

In 12.5 years, I was released on probation.

When I say "I", I don't mean "me". Just Mr. X

A life sentence in Canada is 25 years. And by the time you have served 50% of your sentence, you must be released on probation (according to the law). The only exception is for someone who has been designated a dangerous offender. Like Paul Bernardo.

The punishments for serious and violent crimes here in Canada are too weak. Hopefully the new Conservative government will keep their promises and tough the laws. They are 18 points up in the polls right now, and the election is in 4 days.

I guess they could even be in some nation where it is ok to drag kids out of thier home, beat them and make them confess.
    China and the rest of the communist world.

I get some of the same problems I warn others about, I forget that not everyone lives in the USA. Not really use to the global neighborhood yet
    Lol. You will get use to it eventually.

I have often wished America would adopt some of the social programs you all have up there.
    Like Universal Health Care? I think that is Canada's biggest achievement.
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Yeah, be glad you didn’t. Do you know how long……(40 years) Quebec has been yelling they want to separate?

Now western calls for separation are higher than they have ever been since the early 1980s.

Alaska. You guys bought Alaska (in 1867) b/c if an invasion came through, America did not think Canada could defend such an attack. Gee, even 140 years ago American thought we had a weak army. Not much ahs changed since then :P American could take us over in a second if they wanted to. It would be easier than the invasion of Iraq.

China and the rest of the communist world.

Lol. You will get use to it eventually.

Like Universal Health Care? I think that is Canada’s biggest achievement.

Can't mention china since of couse everyone knows I am so politically correct all the time,

Universal health care, can't mention I want that, since they would take my Republican membership card away

Alaska, may start a new thread just on that, all the study in school and I still have never understood it, and of course I don't know why we did not invade Cuba for real and take it years ago either. And of course we have a tighter border between US and Canada than we do Mexico

Guess that is why they don't have me as a political leader in America.
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Can't mention china since of couse everyone knows I am so politically correct all the time,

Universal health care, can't mention I want that, since they would take my Republican membership card away

Alaska, may start a new thread just on that, all the study in school and I still have never understood it, and of course I don't know why we did not invade Cuba for real and take it years ago either. And of course we have a tighter border between US and Canada than we do Mexico

Guess that is why they don't have me as a political leader in America.
    Hehe.

Very funny Fr Chuck.

You guys do seems to protect the Cdn-American border better than the Us-Mexico. Actually, its just that most Canadian don't try to sneak into your country. But out west, there are so many places to get into USA from Canada without going thro any sort of border.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

As an aunt do I rights to sue DCFS for vistation rights to see my niece? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi My name is Rosalyn. I have a 12 year old niece that I just adore. Unfortunately she is in foster care with Illinois's DCFS going on 6 years. My sister, my nieces mom is mentally Ill. Her father was in jail for 10 years (my niece was 2 when he was sentence). Now that he is out jail and a witness...

Children, Step-children, Niece: What a mess! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in desperate need of clarity and advise. I am 41, mother of 2 daughters, 3 step-kids and 1 niece. My 2 daughters 18 and 15 live with me and my husband and so does my husbands niece, 15 also. My 3 step kids are all over 23 with their own places. My husbands niece has been thrown from...

After children? [ 17 Answers ]

After a women gives birth to a few children does she get "wider". I am just wondering. I am with a guy now, who is pretty small but that is not a problem at the moment anyway. But what would happen if we stayed together, and got married and had a few children? Would I become bigger down there? And...

View more questions Search