Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 8, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Why naturalistic evolution is wrong.
    Evolutionists don't believe in the existence of the soul or mind because a spiritual substance cannot arise out of evolving matter. What we call the mind, they say, is just the product of physical and chemical changes in the brain: our thought are just a combination of calcium, phosphate, and other chemicals. Therefore, evolutionist believe that matter can think. But if matter can think, we have no control or responsibility for what we think, since we do not control physical or chemical laws. Since we can't say that one combination of chemical reactions is better than another, all thoughts are morally neutral. Whatever it is, is. Morality does not exist. What I believe, is that only a belief in God who created man with a spiritual inner nature can account for human responsibility. Regardless of how loudly evolutionists proclaim there atheism, they live and behave like men and women created in the image of God. "for since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power, and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse." Rom. 1:20
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Of course some chemical reactions are better than others. Say you have the "chemical reaction" in your brain that makes you go out and kill a member of your clan. The other members of your clan, fearing that the same will happen to them, will either oust you from the clan or kill you, meaning that your genes which make you think that "morally wrong things are OK" are lost.

The fact that early apes and later humans evolved in social groups means thatgenes that make you more likely to cooperate with your social group make you more successful.

How morality has evolved is already fairly well understood.

Evolution is a fact, and even better it's a theory. Sorry.
    ineedhelpfast Posts: 101, Reputation: 7

Feb 8, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Would you agree with me on this that the reason evolution is still believed regardless of evidence to the contrary. Secondly, if you believe n evolution you have to admit that we hit a cosmos jackpot
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 02:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ineedhelpfast
    would you agree with me on this that the reason evolution is still believed regardless of evidence to the contrary.
    What? This isn't even a sentence, I don't know what you're trying to say here. There is no evidence to the contrary. Sorry.

secondly, if you beleive n evolution you have to admit that we hit a cosmos jackpot
    I don't need to admit to anything. Life could be very common - we don't have the evidence yet.

Even if life WAS very rare, which you are assuming, then you have a basic misunderstanding of statistics. VERY rare things happen EVERY DAY.
    Take a deck of cards, shuffle them, then deal the cards in a row in front of you. What's the probability of you having just dealt those cards in exactly the order you just did?
    It's 1 in 52*51*50*49*... *2*1.

That's roughly (rounding down) 1 in 80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

But you just did it, first try. Wow, you're good. Maybe you're God? Or maybe it's just statistics.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 04:50 PM
    evolutionists dont believe in the existence of the soul or mind because a spiritual substance cannot arise out of evolving matter.
    Capuchin gave some excellent answers.

However your initial premise is wrong before you even get into the evolutionism is wrong debate. I know evolutionist who are spiritual and believe in souls. I even know evolutionists who are Christians. They don't have to be mutually exclusive.
    Believing in evolution does not exclude someone in believing in other things.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 20, 2008, 04:55 PM
    Weird, he posts this in Other Science and quotes the bible. :rolleyes:
    ldibart Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Of course some chemical reactions are better than others. Say you have the "chemical reaction" in your brain that makes you go out and kill a member of yoru clan. The other members of yoru clan, fearing that the same will happen to them, will either oust you from the clan or kill you, meaning that your genes which make you think that "morally wrong things are OK" are lost.

The fact that early apes and later humans evolved in social groups means thatgenes that make you more likely to cooperate with your social group make you more successful.

How morality has evolved is already fairly well understood.

Evolution is a fact, and even better it's a theory. Sorry.
    well I believe in varieties different dogs and cats and such small changes that have an result of the same thing dog=dog.we can observe this we cannot observe dog becoming anything else but that.. a dog. Some scientists use micro-evolution as a way of "proving" macro-evolution.

If we evolved, we do not have a soul , since we are only blobs of cells that came together over millions of years. I mean, at what point would God insert a soul? When we were just goo? A while later?

We are however self aware, so if there is no soul and all we are is physical, then thinking along this line of thought, our minds must have a particular arrangement of neurons to produce our indivual selfawareness. I will say 5 percent of our neurons as a figure... ok, we have a finite arrangement of neurons, each of ours configured specifically for our own selfawareness...

OK, we die and so to does our arrangement of neurons.. however newborns keep getting produced and abra cadabra one of them has ended up with the configuration of neurons that made up yourself awareness... you open your eyes and you know your alive without memories of course, just the knowing you exist part.. if you are following me still congrats.. so now we see an afterlife without memory (evolution) or one with (God made) is coming, depends which view is correct evolution or made by God.

well what evidence is there to suggest no soul?(none) what evidence to suggest a soul? Lots Real-life case of demon possession documented this is the newest exorcism documented. I thought this was interesting... now there are near death experiences by the boat full, here are a few People see verified events while out-of-body

all sorts of other than the physical mysteries are found on earth... if we were only physical then there would not be so much evidence out there for the opposite...

obviously not all you hear on paranormal things is true, but if even 1 percent is true then you have a large amount of evidence , heck only 1 needs to be legit.. lol...

I have to go by what I know has the most evidence, that there is a soul and that there is a God.Just because evolutionists THINK they know how things were made, this somehow negates a maker?

anyone believe in ghosts? Evolution could not believe in it,it can not be inline with any supernatural events.

May 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
    Even if life WAS very rare, which you are assuming, then you have a basic misunderstanding of statistics. VERY rare things happen EVERY DAY.
    Take a deck of cards, shuffle them, then deal the cards in a row in front of you. What's the probability of you having just dealt those cards in exactly the order you just did?
    It's 1 in 52*51*50*49*... *2*1.

That's roughly (rounding down) 1 in 80,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 ,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

But you just did it, first try. Wow, you're good. Maybe you're God? Or maybe it's just statistics.[/QUOTE]

this card example is way too simplistic to even be compared to the odds of life existing..
    there are way way too many things that needed to be just right for life to exist.
    it is not like just one improbable thing happened and here we are.. it was many upon many.

so you cannot use a card example on all these individually,because they all build together to allow life to exist in a manner consistent with a plan... life was made to happen.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 04:43 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ldibart
    this card example is way too simplistic to even be compared to the odds of life existing..
    there are way way too many things that needed to be just right for life to exist.
    it is not like just one improbable thing happened and here we are.. it was many upon many.

so you cannot use a card example on all these individually,because they all build together to allow life to exist in a manner consistent with a plan... life was made to happen.
    You missed the point of the example.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 05:13 AM
    well I believe in varities different dogs and cats and such small changes that have an end result of the same thing dog=dog.we can observe this we cannot observe dog becoming anything else but that.. a dog. some scientists use micro-evolution as a way of "proving" macro-evolution.
    These are different breeds, not different species, they are still canis lupus familiaris, so you are right, they have just "microevolved", mostly through human selection.
    You have to realise that defining what a species is is very tricky. A simple definition is when a population has evolved so far as to no longer be able to breed with the species they evolved from, then that is a new species. Some biologists prefer other definitions.

I suggest you read this page:
    Observed Instances of Speciation

It talks at length about how we define species, and how we observe speciation, and then it shows evidence for many observed instances of speciation, i.e. "macro-evolution".

If we evolved, we do not have a soul , since we are only blobs of cells that came together over millions of years. I mean, at what point would God insert a soul? when we were just goo? a while later?
    I'm going to talk about my beliefs from now on, because many "evolutionists" do not agree with you that there is not a soul. I believe that we have the illusion of a soul given by the way our mind works.

We are however self aware, so if there is no soul and all we are is physical, then thinking along this line of thought, our minds must have a particular arrangement of neurons to produce our indivual selfawareness. I will say 5 percent of our neurons as a figure...ok, we have a finite arangement of neurons, each of ours configured specifically for our own selfawareness...
    I would agree with that. People who have had parts of their brains removed have lost their self-awareness. Also, other animals have shown evidence of exhibiting self-awareness.

ok, we die and so to does our arrangement of neurons..however newborns keep getting produced and abra cadabra one of them has ended up with the configuration of neurons that made up your self awareness...you open your eyes and you know your alive without memories ofcourse, just the knowing you exist part.. if you are following me still congrats.. so now we see an afterlife without memory (evolution) or one with (God made) is coming, depends which view is correct evolution or made by God.
    Newborns do not have self-awareness, they develop it later in life. The brain is still forming connections and then pruning the ones that work properly during early life. So I don't know what you are suggesting, does god only give children a soul after a certain time?

well what evidence is there to suggest no soul?(none) what evidence to suggest a soul? lots Real-life case of demon possession documented this is the newest exorcism documented. I thought this was interesting ...now there are near death experiences by the boat full, here are a few People see verified events while out-of-body
    I don't see any evidence to suggest that out of body events are not just hallucinations caused by coming close to death. The brain would certainly malfunction under such conditions, so I think it's more prudent to suggest such things are hallucinatory in nature. However it seems like there might be some interesting evidence. More research should be done. I'm not sure how demonic possession is evidence for a soul. But that crazy lady should totally apply for the JREF 1 million dollar prize.

all sorts of other than the physical mysteries are found on earth...if we were only physical then there would not be so much evidence out there for the opposite...
    Such as? There are many things we cannot yet explain, but that doesn't meant that they're not physical.

obviously not all you hear on paranormal things is true, but if even 1 percent is true then you have a large amount of evidence , heck only 1 needs to be legit.. lol...
    And if none of them are?

I have to go by what I know has the most evidence, that there is a soul and that there is a God.Just because evolutionists THINK they know how things were made, this somehow negates a maker?
    Evolution does not negate a belief in God. There is absolutely no conflict between a belief in God and a belief in evolution.

anyone believe in ghosts? evolution could not believe in it,it can not be inline with any supernatural events.
    Okay..

May 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Newborns do not have self-awareness, they develop it later in life. The brain is still forming connections and then pruning the ones that work properly during early life. So I don't know what you are suggesting, does god only give children a soul after a certain time?

What I mean is eventually over time a person will end up with a neuron configuration that would equal a selfawareness configuration of a person who had died.

"I don't see any evidence to suggest that out of body events are not just hallucinations caused by coming close to death."

A blind lady in her near death experience was able to see in detail all the equipment in the room and all the medical equipment being used to bring her back.

"The brain would certainly malfunction under such conditions, so I think it's more prudent to suggest such things are hallucinatory in nature. However it seems like there might be some interesting evidence. More research should be done. I'm not sure how demonic possession is evidence for a soul. But that crazy lady should totally apply for the JREF 1 million dollar prize."

The crazy lady is documented as having esp.. books were flying off the shelf and she even levitated off the floor.

"Such as? There are many things we cannot yet explain, but that doesn't meant that they're not physical."

Such as medical miracles of healing but of course because a physical thing took place like cancer being cured without treatment and things of that nature. Evidence that adds up.

"And if none of them are?"

I do believe that of all the cases out there, none would be true,the problem is what if most were true? Then it doesn't matter anyway they will all be swept aside, because it does not fit into the scientific package.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 08:05 AM
    A blind lady in her near death experience was able to see in detail all the equipment in the room and all the medical equipment being used to bring her back. .......

the crazy lady is documented as having esp..books were flying off the shelf and she even levitated off the floor.
    Who are these people you speak of?

May 21, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Who are these people you speak of?
    Real-life case of demon possession documented

People see verified events while out-of-body
    Uber Member

May 21, 2008, 08:20 AM
    So... "an american woman" and "an elderly woman"?

May 21, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    So... "an american woman" and "an elderly woman"?
    The demon possessed woman, her name of course is kept anonymous understandably so lots of whackys out there would probably kill her lol..

As for the other link I wondered why not give names but I was in the middle of typing and pulled the link out as an example, I guess it was not a good example lol...

The Daily Star, Oneonta, NY - The Newspaper for the Heartland of New York - Bolt leads to key moment this is from a local New York news paper and the persons name is in it... lol
    WVHiflyer Posts: 384, Reputation: 34

Jun 14, 2008, 11:09 AM
    evolutionists dont believe in the existence of the soul...
    Your statement couldn't be more wrong. Atheists don't believe in a soul (at least ones I know) but there are 'evolutionists' who are fully believing and faithful members of their religions - including fundamentalist Christians.

Jun 14, 2008, 11:17 AM
    If we evolved, we do not have a soul , since we are only blobs of cells that came together over millions of years. I mean, at what point would God insert a soul? When we were just goo? A while later?
    The two are not mutually exclusive. Even religious scholars cannot agree just when a soul is 'inserted.' If only humans have souls, then God would 'insert' them once we evolved into humans...

anyone believe in ghosts? Evolution could not believe in it,it can not be inline with any supernatural events.
    Again, you are equating evolutionists with humanists &/or atheists. Evolution has absolutely nothing to say about ghosts because such paranormal phenomena are outside their purview.

Jun 14, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    The two are not mutually exclusive. Even religious scholars cannot agree just when a soul is 'inserted.' If only humans have souls, then God would 'insert' them once we evolved into humans....

religious scholars, if they believe the bible, Christ, he was placed in the womb from the start.. Job was formed in the womb "you have formed me from the womb" so it seems we have a soul from the start..

Again, you are equating evolutionists with humanists &/or atheists. Evolution has absolutely nothing to say about ghosts because such paranormal phenomena are outside their purview.
    No, actually I believe there are plenty evolutionists that believe in ghosts and the paranormal,

However thinking about where an evolutionary belief would logically lead then I do not see a point to need a soul, if we are already in the process of being made through slow changes life and death and life again with changes till presto here we are.. OK now here is your soul? If I am wrong in this line of thought, then why is it that some of the top Evolutionists are atheists? Stephen Jay Gould
    Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett

Frank Zindler said,

"The most devastating thing though that biology did to Christianity was the discovery of biological evolution. Now that we know that Adam and Eve never were real people the central myth of Christianity is destroyed. If there never was an Adam and Eve there never was an original sin. If there never was an original sin there is no need of salvation. If there is no need of salvation there is no need of a Saviour. And I submit that puts Jesus, historical or otherwise, into the ranks of the unemployed. I think that evolution is absolutely the death knell of Christianity".

If you are an atheist, the only real conclusion is evolution.. we popped in from nothing and slow changes, till we are here.. really the most logical conclusion if there is no God.

Do you believe Atheists are not in control of evolution?

They are trying to solve how from nothing the parts came into existence without a creator. If they believed in a creator then there would be no need for all the effort to find out how, would there?

Jun 17, 2008, 03:44 AM
    No, actually I believe there are plenty evolutionists that believe in ghosts and the paranormal,
    I didn't say there weren't any, I just said that evolution and ghosts are entirely different fields of study.

however thinking about where an evolutionary belief would logically lead then I do not see a point to need a soul... if I am wrong in this line of thought, then why is it that some of the top Evolutionists are atheists? Stephen Jay Gould
    Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett

If you are an atheist, the only real conclusion is evolution.. we popped in from nothing and slow changes, till we are here.. really the most logical conclusion if there is no God.
    I repeat, just because there are evolutionists who are atheists, doesn't mean all are. The belief in a soul is tied mostly to religion, and since there are fundamentalist Christians who accept that evolution, even macro-evo, is a reality, then there are some evolutionists who believe in a soul.

[/QUOTE]do you believe Atheists are not in control of evolution? [/QUOTE]

NO. I know atheists are not in 'control' of evolution. It is a scientific area of study. No one 'controls' it.

Jun 17, 2008, 06:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by WVHiflyer
    I didn't say there weren't any, I just said that evolution and ghosts are entirely different fields of study.

I repeat, just because there are evolutionists who are atheists, doesn't mean all are. The belief in a soul is tied mostly to religion, and since there are fundamentalist Christians who accept that evolution, even macro-evo, is a reality, then there are some evolutionists who believe in a soul.

I understand your point but I will state here that this type of belief system is not allowed in evolution it would be called intelligent design by default and there is a huge "war" going on to try to allow this in schools and pure evolutionists will not allow it, why? in the theory of evolution no God is allowed, making it be more of an atheistic movement rather than search for the truth.

NO. I know atheists are not in 'control' of evolution. It is a scientific area of study. No one 'controls' it.
    OK lol what I meant by control..

what would you call a group of scientists that are at the top and are against any other view point and not letting any other articles in, peer reviewed or other wise that may contradict the theory or put the God equation into it? And if you say it is not happening, I will provide you with plenty of references from sources that are to be believed.. here is one of many links I can show you where people are being stopped from talking about any other view

RichardSternberg.org | Smithsonian Controversy this is control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Evolution [ 9 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Evolution anyone? [ 63 Answers ]

I have read bits and pieces on evolution and its theories. If someone could simplify it and tell me in a way the average person understands I would be grateful.:) Also how much of it has been proven without doubt and how much remains to be researched? Also if you could give examples of...

Evolution [ 2 Answers ]

As I understand it, according to Evolution Theory, in the vast passage of time in the past a species has gradually evolved (and will evolve in future) into another species when (1) the instinct to survive has "warned" a species that its survival was doomed through rise of some hostile element in...

Human Evolution [ 29 Answers ]

If humans evolved from apes, why are there still apes on this earth? Why didn't they evolve?

Evolution of recruitment [ 1 Answers ]

Pl tell me about history and evolution of recruitment from 19 century till now

View more questions Search