Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rrw Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 11:33 AM
    Carrier furnace problems
    I have a carrier furnace (17 years old) that quit recently. After wiggling a few wires, tapping here and there, I could get it to start up and operate for several days before it quit again. (it has electronic ignition). I can get it to work, but now it works only for one or two cycles (it's getting worse). Sometimes I can get it the pilot to light, then it shuts off. I try again and everything works fine. It seems to be the ignitor/lockout control (the part where the spark plug wire originates) , but the repair guy replaced that temporarily and it didn't SEEM to be the problem (my method to start the furnace is to wiggle and jerk on the wires coming from this part.) So he replaced the main gas valve (for 350 bucks) but the furnace stopped working again the next day. It never does the same thing twice - it seems to be possessed by demons.

Any ideas?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 03:17 PM
    Does it have a thermocouple?

If so, I would replace that, they are very inexpensive and not too difficult to replace.
    randycan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 06:20 PM
    The pilot burner needs to be checked.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 06:56 PM
    The pilot assembly is a heat activated switch and after 17 years is is possible that it is not reacting to the heat the way that it should. The way to check this part is with a OHM meter, in one position it turns on the electric spark and opens the gas to the pilot. As it gets hot the by-metal switch moves to make contact that turns off the sparker and opens the main gas valve. If this switch is not moving enough it will not make the contacts. The part is quite expensive so don't just change it hoping that will fix the problem.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 08:56 PM
    If it's the old three wire pilot assembly(Green,Yellow,White wires) that's the way they act when going bad. The bimetal strip is sticking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier furnace [ 2 Answers ]

Blower runs, furnace won't ignite. ( pilot light IS WORKING) 1. filter was cleaned 2. thermostat reprogrammed . Is there anything we can do beafore calling service?

Carrier furnace problems [ 4 Answers ]

I have a carrier furnace (17 years old) that quit recently. After wiggling a few wires, tapping here and there, I could get it to start up and operate for several days before it quit again. (it has electronic ignition) I can get it to work, but now it works only for one or two cycles (it's getting...

Carrier 58SXA Furnace Ignition Problems [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16 year old Carrier 58SXA furnace that has had problems igniting on colder and damp days for many years. Pilot, lockout device and board, fan board, and thermostat have been replaced, to no avail. Simply resetting main power supply to furnace temporarily solves problem. Pilot ignites...

Carrier furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Furnace that will not light. It has an electronic igniter. I turn the power off and on and the blower works but it will not ignite. It cycles two or three times and turns off. It has a red light that blinks on and off intermittently.

View more questions Search