Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amerchant7 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Train Horn
    I am going to install a air horn on my truck. You commonly see these (train horns) on the net. I doing a home projct. Please help me, thanks!

If I want to get optimal sound, the most decibels possible, I need a tank that can hold
    High air pressure but is still small enough that I can fit it on my truck. Should I choose pressure over volume, this allowing me to get really loud
    Honking but not as many honks? Should I choose volume over pressure this allowing me to get more honk? What would be a happy medium?

YOu may find this amusing, I was thinking, what if I were to hook up a scuba tank to this horn? An 80 Cubic Foot Aluminum Tank can
    Hold 3000 PSI. I would get heavy duty lines to the horn that could withstand the pressure. And pay a lot more to get it filled once
    Emptied. How many blast do you think I would get, and how much louder would it be?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 11:01 AM
    Dive tank came to mind also, you would need a regulator. 3000 PSI will probably blow the
    Your horn apart? You don't happen to have a bumper made of Pipe with ends on it. You could use that.
    davyk1978 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 1, 2008, 03:53 PM
    I got a train horn set up from pbmissions, and the tank really isn't that big. Have you considered just getting a standard set up like the kits they sell there?

BTW, if you'd like I can measure my tank's width & depth and send it to you. I got the dragen flame kit they show on their site, and it's around 150db I believe. Let me know!
    PalmettoFinesse Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Sep 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
    I've got train horns with a 480 compressor and 5 gallon tank, in my opinion I would chose pressure over volume, I have a few friends who have done the opposite, but if you got a train horn for the same reason I did (to scare people) you should go with pressure over volume. I say this because at a certain time, after one or two blows, people nearby will be alert to your horn, trust me, and the louder those one or two blows are, the better. While your driving away to a different location, hurrying away so no one can copy your plate numbers lol, your compressor can build up more air in your tank to go another round! If you don't have train horns yet, you should check out HornBlasters.com for the best horns at the best prices I've found... they're indorsed by Hulk Hogan, Joe Rogan, Howard Stern, and me as being "the loudest damn horns you will ever hear"
    horns Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2008, 10:07 PM

I have to agree with Palmetto on this one. It's obvious he's been around the block once or twice with his horn. Lol.

A high air flow valve is essential for the loudness. Only a few places sell the 1/2" valves, Truck train horns is one of them. I think hornblasters does too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The horn on my Xterra doesn't work [ 3 Answers ]

Hey smart-car-people, The horn on my 2000 Nissan Xterra just stopped working. I checked all of the fuses and they all are o.k. Does anyone know what the possible problem could be? Thanks

Fog Horn Sound [ 4 Answers ]

Hello plumbing gurus. I have a very loud FOG HORN sound when I turn on any faucet. I turned off all valves leading into every toilet so the toilets are now out of the equation. I then disabled all valves leading into each faucet until the sound went away. I then opened each valve then the...

Horn sounds /water [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... trumpet sounds are heard every time we flush, turn on the water etc. It is getting worse. What is the problem and can we fix it? Teddybear42

Horn repair [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to fix my 93 civic horn and can't find a free manual to help. Any suggestions

View more questions Search