Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starlite53 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
    Title Trasfer to Trust, Les Pence issue
    I am the 76 year old owner of a $6mil piece of property. A les pence has been placed on it claiming breach of contract via a lawsuit. The defendant is claiming that a verbal agreement was made to sell him the property for $3.5mil. No funds were exchanged and no documents have been signed. The defendant is refusing to answer my attorney's attempt to resolve this matter in court. The courts have held this matter up for over 5 years. Time of the essence has been ignored by Judge assigned to case. Defendant and Judge are friends. This matter is on the dockets in Freehold, NJ.

Can I quit claim this asset and all other realestate assets over to a trust or family member? What will happen to the les pence if title is granted to family member or trust? Who is responsible for any outstanding mortgages on property?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Are you referring ot a Lis Pendens? This is a notice of pending litigation against a property. This means the property CANNOT be transferred until the litigation has been filed.

If I were your attorney, I would file a counter suit against this person for losses incurred due to his lawsuit. I would also insist that the judge recuse himself from the case. If the judge refuses to recuse himself, then go to a higher court or judge supervisor and get the case moved.
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Well, the property can be transferred, but the new owner will not be able to get title insurance or finance the property. In addition the prior owner would still be liable to pay off all liens and mortgages on the property and any current mortgage loans would most likely become immediately due in full. If they are not paid then the lender can still foreclose. So transferring the property to a family member or trust really won't accomplish anything.

There are obviously other issues involved with this situation. If it were as simple as you say then a motion for summary judgment and removal of the lis pendens would have been successful immediately after the suit was filed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Quite title Action work with a Trust? [ 2 Answers ]

Mother has passed, house is in a trust. Two sisters are co-sucessors and benifituaries. Sisters are at war. One took care of mother, one didn't. They will not get along to settle estate. Q: Will a Quite title action work with a Trust? Q: How does an estate get settle with out the other?

F1 to H1 Trasfer NO OPT [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I am on F1 status doing PhD. This is my first year. My I-20 is valid until 2008. A company is offering me a job and I want to start the job in October 2006. What happens to my F1 if H1b is rejected. Will I still be in student status ? Can I still be in student status until October...

View more questions Search