thoughtiwastheman Posts: 114, Reputation: 22

Feb 8, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Is it a crime?
    Is perjury a specific intent crime?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 09:48 AM
    Hello youaretheman:

If you're asking whether intent is a necessary element to the crime of perjury, I would think you'd need to ferret out the particular law you're referring to. ALL states plus the federal government have laws against perjury. I'll bet they're not all the same.

Having said all that, I don't know how you could accidentally lie.

excon
    Sanjay Persad Posts: 110, Reputation: 0

Feb 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
    It's an indictable criminal offence. If u want 2 get technical it is generally tried as a specific intent offence rather than a general intent offence
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 06:16 PM
    Normally it is lying under oath, so normally just the fact you did it, not the reason you did it, They have to prove you did lie.

This was the issue with Clinton for example, he lied about having sex,
    His defense from what I remember was that what he did was not really sex. So although in his mind, we can say he did not beelive he was lying, the courts beleieved he was.

I think some issue of a simple mistake can be used in defense, in the end, the only issue normally needed to be proved is that it was done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural Crime and Legal Crime [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help here I am doing a paper on Natural Crime and Legal Crime I need 1500 word and I am stuck at 895. Can anyone give me their thoughts on the subject?

Natural crime and legal crime [ 1 Answers ]

I also would like to know the major crimes used by the FBI in its crime index and which ones are wrong only because it is prohibited by law.:confused: :confused: :confused:

Natural crime and legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

I need to compare and contrast the concepts of natural crime and legal crime. Can anyone help me out?

Natural Crime and Legal crime [ 2 Answers ]

What is the contrast between these two? What may be considered wrong in its self or wrong because its prohibited by law

Is it a crime? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm really curious, recently, my parents threw me out. (actually about 5 times in the last year). Right now I'm only 17. 4 of the times they threw me out, they didn't provide a place for me to live. Their lawyer told them they didn't have to let me stay there once I was 16. Is this true?

View more questions Search