Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    eam5053 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 09:09 AM
    3rd party collection on my credit card debt
    I was disabled in march 2006 ,still waiting for a disability hearing . After sending out a letter of explanation and doctors reports to the 5 credit cards I was using . One of them decided to turn my account over for collection. I have never denied that I owe the debt , But until I receive some type of disability I have no Income at all and have no asset's. In my letter I stated that my Intentions were to pay all 5 credit cards off when My disability was established , all 5 credit cards total owed was 3,000 dollars. One of the cards turned my account over to a collection agency from which I received a summons in Dec. 2008 ,In that summons I was told that I needed to respond to said attorney within 20 days . I called them the same day I received the summons . I said that I was responding to the summons and wanted to explain my situation. I was then told that our conversation would be recorded for collection purposes to which I agreed .Thinking that what I had done would be sufficient . Today Feb.7th I received a judgment in the mail , telling me that because I didn't serve the plaintiff's attorney with a written answer to their complaint a judgment was being served . I called said attorney to the plaintiff to ask about this judgment .She said that she apologized for the misunderstanding as to what I needed to actually do to stop the judgment . But after all she represented the plaintiff not me and that if I didn't understand the requirements that perhaps I should ask a neutral attorney . My Question Is what can I expect to happen , Can they do anything to my family or what should I expect to happen . I don't believe that my hardship was my families or my fault and future harassment from this attorney will only compromise my health further . WHAT TO DO ?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 10:30 AM
    They got the judgment because your answer had to be in writing.

Now, they can attempt to collect the judgment in several ways.

They can put a lien on your home if you are buying and not renting, they can try to levy personal property of any real value with some exemptions allowed by the laws in your area.

If you are a renter of your residence, and you have no personal property of any real value, they really don't have many other options to use. Other than putting up with the collection calls and notices, sounds like it will be difficult for them to collect anything until you get your disability started.

Good luck to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 3rd party collection agency lawfully collect debt w/o a contract. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going back and forth with a 3rd party collection agency and was wondering if a 3rd party collection agency can lawfully collect a debt if there is no contract between the collection agency and the original creditor that expressly transfers the legal right to collect this debt to the collection...

Credit Card Debt Collection [ 5 Answers ]

I am beign sued for an old credit card debt in GA. Last date of activity was July 2001. I answered the complaint with SOL as a defense. I am now scheduled for court ordered mediation in about 2 weeks. Is it too late to ask for proof of the debt? If not, who do I send the request to? I cannot...

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

3rd party deposit error on my credit card [ 3 Answers ]

A company has mistakenly deposited close to £2000 on my credit card. Can they take the money back out of my account? If not, how long before the money becomes mine legally?

View more questions Search