Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emmahogg Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Feb 8, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Evil riddle
    Does anyone know the answer to this riddle? Its been bugging me all day!

There are 3 words in the english dictionary that end in gry ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them everyday, and if you listened very arefully, I've given you the third word what is it?

I really don't know and it buggs the hell out of me!
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Feb 8, 2008, 08:55 AM
    There is no answer lol

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Words Ending in -gry
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 09:12 AM
    This is an example of people "fixing" a riddle because they didn't understand it. Here is the original riddle as it should be read:

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

Now, can you figure it out? This version DOES have an answer, and when people hear it they don't get it. Hint, the answer doesn't end in -gry. Reading it may simply give it away, but having it read aloud to you makes it a fun riddle, like in a class setting.

HINT #2 - this riddle does not include a fragment sentence. It is grammatically correct.

SPOILER - Here is the answer: LANGUAGE Use your mouse to highlight the blank area and the answer is revealed.
    Never-Again Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 09:19 AM
    So I don't get it lol
    Software Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 09:20 AM
    Here is the version I originally used in school, it has a completely different answer than the one I gave above:

"Angry" and "hungry" are two words in the English language that end in "-gry". What is the third word. The word is something that everyone uses everyday. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

This answer is MUCH shorter than the one above. Hint, the punctuation in the riddle is NOT wrong, it is correct.

SPOILER - Here is the answer: WHAT Use your mouse to highlight the blank area and the answer is revealed.

BTW, there are at least 10 versions floating around each with a different actual answer. The version that started this thread doesn't have an answer, it's the version that's been fixed until it broke.
    emmahogg Posts: 98, Reputation: 4

Feb 8, 2008, 09:38 AM
    The one I posted was word for word what some one sent me in a text message I still don't get what the answer is though even for the other versions
    Never-Again Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 09:52 AM
    That one is way better..
    Software Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Remember, a true riddle has an answer and includes information solely there to distract/mislead you. OK? Here we go:

"Think of words ending in -GRY. Angry and hungry are two of them. There are only three words in the English language. What is the third word? The word is something that everyone uses every day. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is."

HIGHLIGHT >>The first two sentences mean nothing, not part of the problem. The riddle answer lies in the third sentence. THere are only three words in the English language. The riddle then asks What is the third word? The third word in "the english language" is LANGUAGE.

Next version:
    "Angry" and "hungry" are two words in the English language that end in "-gry". What is the third word. The word is something that everyone uses everyday. If you have listened carefully, I have already told you what it is.

HIGHLIGHT >>The first sentence again means nothing, ignore it. The second sentence isn't a question, it's a statement: "WHAT" is the third word. So the answer is WHAT.

Use your mouse to highlight the big white parts of this message to reveal the explanations.
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 9, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Remember, a true riddle has an answer and includes information solely there to distract/mislead you. OK? Here we go:

HIGHLIGHT >>The first two sentences mean nothing, not part of the problem. The riddle answer lies in the third sentence. THere are only three words in the English language. The riddle then asks What is the third word? The third word in "the english language" is LANGUAGE.

Next version:

HIGHLIGHT >>The first sentence again means nothing, ignore it. The second sentence isn't a question, it's a statement: "WHAT" is the third word. So the answer is WHAT.

Use your mouse to highlight the big white parts of this message to reveal the explanations.

I knew the answer from the beginning. Once I realized that I couldn't find the logical answer, I started looking for the illogical answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help on riddle [ 15 Answers ]

Ok I need the answer to this riddle. It has been bugging the crap out of me for like 2 weeks now and I can't find the answer so I turned to the internet. Here is the riddle. A man walks into a bar and strikes up a conversation with the bartender. He finds out that the bartender has three kids. ...

Another Riddle [ 8 Answers ]

A barrel of water weighs 20 lbs. right now. What do you add to it to make it weigh only 12 lbs. (answer below) -- --

Riddle [ 3 Answers ]

I am the highest point. I am also the intersection of two sides. Remove my first three letters, then add two to the end, and you have a state in the USA. What am I?

Riddle me this [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to find the answer to this riddle and I cannot figure it out. Here it is: A man made it. A man brought it. But he could not see it. What is it?

View more questions Search