Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dunno Posts: 160, Reputation: 19

Feb 8, 2008, 08:26 AM
    What do you know about lasik?
    I am doing a marketing/ad campaign for a new form of Lasik Eye Surgery. For those of you who want it done but have fears, what are your fears?

And for those who have had it done, what were your experiences with the whole procedure, days leading up to it, deciding factors, etc.

Thanks everyone!
    mafiaangel180 Posts: 629, Reputation: 103

Feb 8, 2008, 08:28 AM
    I would like to get it, but I hear that there is a chance that your vision can be permanantly ruined. Like seeing halos and other problems with vision at night.
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Feb 8, 2008, 08:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dunno
    I am doing a marketing/ad campaign for a new form of Lasik Eye Surgery. For those of you who want it done but have fears, what are your fears?

And for those who have had it done, what were your experiences with the whole procedure, days leading up to it, deciding factors, etc.

Thanks everyone!
    Can you elaborate a bit on the "new form" please.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 08:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mafiaangel180
    I would like to get it, but I hear that there is a chance that your vision can be permanantly ruined. Like seeing halos and other problems with vision at night.
    That is also my concern. I don't want to have more problems!
    I've tried contacts from at least seven opto's... all claiming the last bloke was the sorriest of nightmares... nobody will get close now! I'd rather fumble and fail than deal with the pain I've heard is attributed to the surgery and have less luck than success.
    What you say to that, dunno!!
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 02:49 PM
    I'd like to try it but am squeemish about keeping my eye open during the procedure. Kind of creeps me out. I faint at the sight of my own blood. Am also afraid that eyesight would be ruined and made worse (can't imagine what's worse than 20/450) or unable to be totally corrected. I also have GPC from wearing contacts and am worried this procedure may aggravate the condition. I have it permanently at level 1. I gave up wearing contacts 20 some years ago and stick with glasses. I hate to get up in the middle of the night without a night light as I walk into the walls that I can't see. I'd love to be able to see without my glasses though.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 02:56 PM
    I also want to know what you mean by "new form of lasik". Please explain. I'm an Ophthalmic Technician, so I work with laser surgery patients on a daily basis.

Feb 9, 2008, 03:20 PM
    It's called iLasik. It's a more advanced form of LASIK. It uses 2 of the most advanced computer guided lasers instead of one. The first laser creates the thin corneal flap and the second laser corrects your vision based on the exact specification/measurement of your eye.

It's the first vision correction procedure ever to be fully tailored for the unique characteristics of your individual eyes.
    Vision Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 03:23 PM
    Um, what about CustomVue?? The only difference that you described was a laser cutting the flap..

Feb 9, 2008, 04:49 PM
    If you want to read about it, go to iLASIK: LASIK & Laser Eye Surgery
    I was only saying what the info I was given says. Apparently it's that laser that cuts the flap that is the big deal. It cuts down on problems that the procedure with the microkeratome had. It's not WAY different from LASIK, it's just more advanced.

I am not an expert on this subject or anything. I don't need glasses or contacts so vision issues aren't something I'm familiar with. I don't want to get into a big debate about what's better, etc. I just wanted to know what people's fears and experiences are. I am a graphic designer and the marketing firm I work for is doing a marketing campaign for iLasik and competing against 3 other firms.

I just want to know how people view the LASIK procedure to better help me and my team come up with a good campaign.
    Vision Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 06:09 PM
    It's not a knife, it's a tool called a microkeratome, which uses an automatic blade. And there is not that many problems with it AT ALL, really. And I read that, it's interesting. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deteriorating lasik [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I had lasik surgery in the year 2000 and I learned that it starts deteriorating after 10 years.now is 2007 and I'm noticing the difference to the point that I'm starting to have headaches.my question is since 2000 there most have been more improvements in this procedures is there now a...

Lasik surgery? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'd like to get in to lasik and I need a part-time internship... any suggestions?

Origin Of Lasik Surgery? [ 2 Answers ]

Where was Lasik surgery invented/developed?

View more questions Search