Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Progressive movement
    I was listening to the local political radio show host this morning and he was saying how with this election we are bound to get a Woodrow Wilson progressive type government and he listed a few really messed up things Wilson did as President. I remembered hearing this same thing years ago, but my mind working like a sieve as usual forgot what he said.
    Can you list some things that weren't good?
    I tried looking it up but the list I read on the one site were all positive and my mind gets too boggled reading all that political cr@p0!a. Thanks

Any stuff that went against the constitution and our rights (especially in the past 20 to 30) years and so forth would be appreciated.
    Please keep it all simple and outlined as much as possible since my brain goes uncomfortably numb with too mucho cr@po :D
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 09:15 PM
    I am many years past college history and haven't read a bio of W. Wilson. But I recall that he was somewhat of an idealist, perhaps a visionary, which is not meant to be complementary. He was instrumental in establishing a plan from which arose the League of Nations, precursor to the United Nations. So picture this: the president of the US aiding in the establishment of the League of Nations, and the US Senate refused to ratify the treaty under which the US would join. So, post WWI was to be administered, in part, by the League of Nations, and the US wasn't a member.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2008, 06:31 AM
    Yeah ; Wilson won without a majority in 1912 because Teddy Roosevelt split the Republicans by making a progressive run as an indi. Against the conservative Taft.
    When he campaigned for Prez he called for a series of reforms under what he called "The New Freedom" .They were similar to many of the Rossevelt ideas about reform. The New Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

These included anti-trust and business regulation .The thing that the radio host was probably harping about however was the creation of the Federal Reserve.

Beyond that Wilson was the first President to embrace the concept of a living breating evolving Constitution.

Regarding WWI ; Wilson's rhetoric evolved to an ideological call for the defense of freedom after he had boasted in his reelection campaign thathe had kept us out of the war . He later crafted his 14 Points which called for reconciliation after the war and international solutions to conflict in the forming of the League of Nations.

The United States was anxious to retreat back to fortress American after the war .The Senate failed to ratify the US enterance into the League which doomed any chance it had to succeed. However ,given the performance of the next attempt at a world forum;the UN , I'm not sure that was a bad thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is progressive memory loss a sign of? [ 1 Answers ]

My bestest friend in the whole world has terrible memory loss. Im repeating the same thing every day. I also don't think it used to be this bad. She also has severe headaches in the middle of her forehead. They are not always severe, and she doesn't always have them. If she had 5 headaches in one...

Hillary says she is progressive [ 3 Answers ]

Progressivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Glenn Beck says that is probably one of the most honest replies she (or any politician) has ever given. What do you consider the pros and the cons of progressivism??

Past Progressive [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone tell me which is grammatically correct: I was trying to call you at 6 last night. Were you watching T.V. Or I tried to call you lat 6 last night. Were you watching T.V. Thank you.

Never, Ever Use Progressive! [ 10 Answers ]

NEVER, EVER USE PROGRESSIVE! I believe, Progressive inc. does a bait and switch to their loyal customers when they change addresses! YOU BE THE JUDGE! Timeline: Jan 10, 2006- I move from the Santa Monica area to Pasadena Jan 13th- My old Progressive policy EXPIRES for $620 every 6 months...

View more questions Search