Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boogie32b Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Cat hair loss on stomach with sore
    We just noticed our cat has lost all the hair on her stomach and there is a blister-type sore there. Could a heated cat bed cause hair loss like that? It's a regulated temperature and doesn't feel too hot at all, but because she lives in the garage (husband's allergic), she stays in it all day during the winter. She's eating and drinking well and hasn't seemed to lose any weight. She seems healthy and alert. There's no hair loss any where else.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this?
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:52 PM
    If she has gotten into any type of fight with another cat or even injured that spot, she will lick and lick until all of the hair surrounding it is gone. It may just be from a small injury and not the cat pad at all.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Could be ringworm, as well. Could be a lot of things. How bad is it? Worth a vet visit?
    coolcalico Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2008, 08:26 AM
    My younger cat had done this as well. She lost it on on her belly as well as her rear. I had an appointment to take her into the vet to get fixed anyway, and had the vet check her out. She said she had fleas, and they bit her belly so she was licking the sores, which made the hair quit growing. I hadn't even realized she had fleas because she wasn't itching herself & her hair was so thick that I couldn't see the fleas. The excessive groming didn't alarm me either because she's ALWAYS grooming herself.

Feb 14, 2008, 07:29 PM
    Thanks everyone for your great suggestions! I decided to just be on the safe side and take her to the vet.
    Thanks again!:D
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 09:18 PM
    Just curious... what did the vet say?
    brandys75 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2012, 10:13 PM
    We have just discovered the same thing with a 15 year old cat and he was put in the garage because of little box issues and lies on a heated pad all day so your comment really got me thinking. He is fat and lazy and lies all day on one of those pads. Did you ever find anything out?

Feb 24, 2012, 09:11 AM
    I'm pretty sure it occurred because our cat slept on the heating pad all day and night as well. When summer came and she no longer needed the heating pad, her hair all grew back. The next winter we switched to a heat lamp(not placed too closely) for her to sleep underneath. She did much better with that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hair loss in my cat [ 1 Answers ]

Within the last month and a half, my cat has been experiencing dramatic hair loss. He is losing his hair mainly on his legs and stomach. At first I thought it was the food I gave him. Then I switched back to his regular food, and no change. Is there any other way I can help my cat without having to...

My cat has HAIR loss ? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took my at Lucky (3 years old) to my vet because you had a bladder irration.. about a month ago . And I think maybe he got fleas from there:( , we didn't notice to recently when we realized he's suffuring from hair loss :eek: ! Its on his lower back and cont's to the middle of his...

Hair loss in my cat [ 4 Answers ]

My car has hairloss on his tail and right between his shoulder blades. He is constantly licking or scratching. I used advantage and he was good then we got tight on money and bought store brand flea medicine now he got worse. What can I do to make him feel better?:confused:

Cat hair loss [ 2 Answers ]

There is a friendly homeless cat that we have been feeding and looking after. He must live outside mostly, I don't think he has a home. He has some hair loss on his back and up the bottom of his tail. His skin underneath the hair loss is somewhat pink. Any ideas what it could be? Any suggestions...

Cat hair loss [ 3 Answers ]

One of my cats is always licking her stomach and she has lost a lot of fur near her tail. The vet says this is caused by stress, but she doesn't seem very nervous. How can I stop her from licking herself excessively?

View more questions Search