Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abad14 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Dryer Vent into Heater Vent?
    Is it possible OK to feed a dryer vent into an already existing heater vent?

I am thinking of installing a dryer in the middle of lower level two story house. The closest vent is the heater in the closet with the heater and water heater. Is it OK to run the went from the dryer into one of these vents? Or do I have to run a new vent?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:44 AM
    A new vent to the outside is best as you do not want any lint build up or any lint going into your existing furnace vent. This would cause untold problems with your furnace.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 11:56 AM
    By saying, " from the dryer into one of these vents" are you talking about the combustion exhaust vents? No you can not tap into thses exhausts since it will cause a back up of carbon monoixide into the home. Insta;ll and electric dryer or run a exhaust tube to the outside wall.
    rspeed Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2009, 04:14 PM
    DIY solution I have an electric drier and I built a box that a standard window screen can slide into sandwiched with a standard 1" furnace filter and I blow my dryer into this box in the winter. You have to keep the screen and filter clean! I then intalled a cold air inlet to my furnace close to this box. When the furace kicks on it draws in this heated clean humid air. Sometimes I run the blower manually while drying. The box does not get that hot but I lined it with thin aluminum and tacked it inside also used metal tape. (throwaway oven pans work great as lining material)
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 19, 2009, 04:30 PM
    Good thinking "outside the box" speedy! The experts are correct abad. You can't connect back to the heater vent. Either run the vent outside or terminate it in a box like speed suggests. Good luck, Tom
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2009, 04:56 PM

You are bound to have a lint build up regardless of WHAT type of filter you install in the box contraption you made. Unless it is a HEPA filter that is. The lint build up is going to lodge inside your blower motor of the furnace and possibly cause a fire. Not such a wonderful idea you had after all. Sorry. Venting to the outside is CRUCIAL when it comes to lint and lint build up. Sometimes the lint is so fine you can't see it - but your motor will attract it like a magnet and it WILL build up on the motor's guts.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Oct 19, 2009, 06:47 PM

NO, NO and NO again. I thought it was a joke. They are two, completely different vents that share a same name. I agree with everybody who said NO to your idea.

Run separate dryer vent that will terminate on the exterior of your house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laundry Pump vent hookup. How? - no vent access [ 9 Answers ]

I have a Laundry Tray Pump System connected to my wash tub in my fifteen year old townhome's basement. I was recently informed that it was not properly installed because I never connected the vent pipe from the pump. I had some one look at it and was told that the house's vent system (which...

Distance from Tub/Lav vent to main vent. [ 1 Answers ]

Referring to the attached sketch, The existing sink drain has a vent that serves both it and the tub. When I relocate my sink, it adds about 4 more feet of length to the distance between the sink/tub vent and the main waste vent. This effectively makes it 10 feet. I believe this is likely too far...

Vent diagram - does this meet code (see pic)? Vent runs below actual drain [ 4 Answers ]

The schematic below should make it clear the configuration I would like to use. Basically, I would like to keep the vent under the floor for a little ways, so it pops up in a better location. I cannot easily move the 2" drain location going down and would rather not go straight up from the...

Garage heater vent [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a 45000 BTU space heater in my garage. This has a power exhaust. I am going horizontal with this about 3' to wall through wall then 1' past with cover outside. Do I have to use b-vent or can I use signal wall and a thimble through the drywall board and vinyl siding. I will have...

Connecting dryer vent to bathroom vent? [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone out there know if I can connect my dryer vent to my bathroom vent using a t-connection? Thanks Me

View more questions Search