Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mikefable Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 10:31 AM
    Credit card judgement
    I am being sued by citi bank for a little over 12,000(from 2 cards) I already acknowledged the debt was mine and that I owe it, they got all my bank information and w-2's already. I own no property and am a student that makes a little over 1,100 a month bartending. My rent etc. is around 750 a month. What is going to happen when I go to court in a couple of weeks? I live in Louisiana by the way, the parralegal said most likely a lien will be placed against me but she was not friendly at all and didn't want to explain to me what that was, I can't afford a lawyer so what can I expect
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:44 AM
    You can probably expect to loose when you go to court.
    You have no defense to not paying the money you have borrowed.
    You could try to work out a payment plan prior to going to court, but, it sounds like you have little income to budget this payment into.
    If they get a judgment, they can attach a lien to your home, if you are buying and not renting. They can also levy any personal property of any real value to be sold at auction, while this is not very common, it can be done.
    If they get the lien on your residence, you will not be able to sell the property, without first paying off the judgment that they have attached to it.
    You need a couple more jobs, and less school time to be able to settle this to your benefit.
    Good Luck!

Feb 7, 2008, 12:12 PM
    I am only renting, I have no vehicle and understand the lien thing, I want to pay the debt but obviously can't afford it while in school, my next question is can they garnish wages now and when I get a real job after school take more, that's actually what I want but don't know if they will do that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Yes they can garnish your wages up to 25%. If you change jobs they can then do the same at the new job.

Feb 7, 2008, 04:29 PM
    Thank you all for the responses, like I said I want to pay the debt. I want to have the payments spaced out over time though

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Credit Card Judgement [ 5 Answers ]

I received a call yesterday from an attorney's office, although the person did not identify herself as to what the name of the attorney's office was that she was calling from. I have a credit card that I haven't paid in 6 months. I owed $3500 and am told now it is up to $4400. This person from the...

Credit card judgement [ 14 Answers ]

I have a credit card jugdement that was processed against me for about 4,000 including court and interest. This week the sheriff emptied all my money in my bank account and came this morning and took my car which is about 15,000. I am at a loss and do not know what to do next. Please help.

What is a credit card judgement? [ 1 Answers ]

What does a judgement made as a result of a credit card entail?

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

View more questions Search