Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    almen Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Hot Water Heater
    I have a Hot Water Boiler and hot water heater that are constantly going out (pilots) They are both natural gas and use the same chimney from the basement. Any thoughts or suggestions? Sometimes wind is a factor other times it is not.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2006, 05:01 PM
    Adding a cap on the chimney may help if you don't have one. You could try replacing the thermocouples and turning the pilot up.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2006, 05:26 PM
    I also believe that the pilot going out can indicate the heat exchanger coils need to be cleaned, I lost a set of eyebrows once due to a dirty furnace.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 05:55 PM
    Down draft from the chimney most likely cause. See labman for the chimny cap answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Hot water heater [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an 8-year old townhouse and have an A.O Smith 50 gallon hot water heater the same age. The plumber told me it needs to be replaced (does this sound like a reasonable time frame for that?) and mentioned something about a wags valve. Is this something I should have installed or is it...

Water heater [ 6 Answers ]

I wanted to bounce something off you guys about my water heater we just replced on Saturday. After a very long day of problems trying to install this thing because we couldn't get the lines dry enough to solder on the cold supply, we were all ready to pack up and noticed the fittings where the hot...

Hot water heater help [ 3 Answers ]

I just replaced my electric hot water heater. I think the coil burned out on the old one. I bought a Whirlpool 12yr and it has the "diagnostics" on it. I connected everything, filled it with water, then turned on the power... no green light.. no power. The line coming in has power. It runs off a...

View more questions Search