Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Emakala Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 04:09 PM
    Shepard Wolf Cross's crippling pain
    My daughter has a 7 year old shepard and wolf cross. For the past couple of years Kasper has been suffering from occasional, sometimes constant severe muscle pain that prevents him from standing and walking. It is especially bad in the hindquaters. He does not have hip displaysia. He's being treated with Glucosamine, Condroiton, MSM, and halibut oil that has been helping up to now. When it gets especially bad as it is now, he is usually on Anasid (sp?) given to him by his vet. She is unable to reach the vet at present and has opted to give him asprin. She is worried that the asprin will make him sick and has given him two today with food, bread and milk. He weighs about 80 pounds and she's afraid to give him any more.
    At one time he was diagnosed with a type of meningitis and was on cortisone. He is no longer on cortisone, but we wonder if what he has now is related to the meningitis he had in the past (about two years ago.)
    We are desperate for help. It would be a shame to put this beautiful dog down. My daughter's husband is celebrating his birthday this weekend and Kasper is his very best friend... heavy sigh.
    Please help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 18, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Aspirin, not the newer acetophen or Ibuprofen, is one of the few medications a dog owner should ever give a dog except on directions of a vet. Buffered aspirin is easier on his stomach. The dosage is 5 mg per pound every 12 hours, a regular 325 mg tablet may be close enough for him.

It is still best to limit the aspirin to cases where the dog is in pain and you can't get to the vet. I see it as an exceptional case where it is OK. Many good people won't even allow the aspirin, taking the stand of never medicating the dog yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hip Pain [ 3 Answers ]

I have been experiencing mild internal pain on right side around hip. My family Doc has done blood and other prelim tests including ultrasound and found nothing alarming. After 2 months it seems it is showing up again with constant pain increasing while coughing, changing position etc. Want to...

Hip Pain [ 9 Answers ]

:mad: I have hip pain and walk with a cane.My MD tells me I will need a operation. He told me to lose 50 pounds and have the operation next year. My problem is the pain medication no longer works.He tells me if he gives me anything stronger I would be addicted to drugs. I hope I can find can a...

Pain after sex [ 3 Answers ]

I'm married, have no kids, and have been having sex now for two and a half years. Up until about 3 months ago, the sex was great, with no pain at all. Then, I would notice that after sex, the inside of my vagina would hurt. Also, the outer area of my vagina swells after sex. I can only have sex...

Pain: [ 5 Answers ]

What has God done to deal with the evil and pain of the world? HANK :(

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

I have a german shepard that had pups two weeks ago, and she stopped feeding her pups, what do I do? I've never been through this and I am afraid for the pups. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you:confused:

View more questions Search