Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sophie1920 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 07:58 AM
    Responsible for dependents' debts?
    I have been claiming my live-in boyfriend as a dependent. He has cancer and has not been able to work. He has mounting medical bills. Can I be held responsible for these debts because of claiming him as a dependent on my taxes?
    jmooooo Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 08:35 AM
    No!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sophie1920
    I have been claiming my live-in boyfriend as a dependent. He has cancer and has not been able to work. He has mounting medical bills. Can I be held responsible for these debts because of claiming him as a dependent on my taxes?

No, you are not responsible for his debts as long as you haven't guaranteed or co-signed anything or put any of these bills on your credit cards - any one of which does make you responsible.

(I'm so sorry you are in this situation; it's so difficult and exhausting to be the caretaker.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spouses as dependents? [ 2 Answers ]

Can I claim my spouse as a dependent on my tax returns?

Tax for dependents and H4 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1-B in US for last 2 years and my girlfriend is visiting me. She has visited me in January 2007 (for 3 weeks) and went back to her home country. Now, she has been staying with me since July 1, 2007.We are planning to get married in December in US. Questions 1. If she goes for...

Dependents [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how much money you get back per child on taxes this year.

Am I Going To Legally Responsible For Her Debts? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Guys, I've been hooked up with a lady for over 12 years now and we're beginning to talk marriage. Problem is that she has a huge backlog of bills and debts while I own my home clear, have no outstanding bills and have a AAA credit rating. Question; If we got married would I be responsible...

Battle w/ex over dependents [ 2 Answers ]

By mid June 2005 I satisfied IRS requirements for claiming my two children as dependents. They lived in my home more than half the year, and I provided more than half their support (NCP not paying support). In June 2005 I was handed a divorce decree stating my ex and I each are to claim one...

View more questions Search