Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nsomniana Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2008, 01:44 AM
    Lost My Cell Phone
    I lost a very expensive cell phone that was given to me. It would be most convenient to get it back. Is there any way I can track it's location? Please e-mail me.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 04:28 AM
    Before you do anything else, you really should call cell phone company and cancel your subscription in case someone finds it and racks up some very expensive calls that you will have to pay for.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 04:37 AM
    Also report this to the police. If you have to file a claim, you will need the police report - so says my carrier, Alltel.

Feb 7, 2008, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Also report this to the police. If you have to file a claim, you will need the police report - so says my carrier, Alltel.

As humiliating as this is to admit, the phone wasn't stolen, I lost it. Thus, reporting it to the police wouldn't be a good idea.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 05:58 AM
    If you lost this phone and you want to a replacement from your carrier, your carrier may have a policy that mandates a police report. This is the policy of my cell phone carrier. As far as your carrier is concerned, they may be able to recover information as to numbers being called. I imagine you have already called your phone number to see who answers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 7, 2008, 07:44 AM
    Comments on this post
    nsomniana disagrees: No kidding! I never would have thunk of that one. That's not what I asked!

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Have you tried calling your phone? Have you contacted the carrier? Some expensive phones can be tracked via GPS.

Feb 9, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    If you lost this phone and you want to a replacement from your carrier, your carrier may have a policy that mandates a police report. This is the policy of my cell phone carrier. As far as your carrier is concerned, they may be able to recover information as to numbers being called. I imagine you have already called your phone number to see who answers.
    Yeah, it just goes straight to Voicemail, so I'm guessing it's out of power.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2008, 11:43 AM
    I hope you have filed a report and contacted your carrier. As humiliating as you think this may be - you need to take some action and replace that phone. Many people lose their cell phones - you are not the first nor will be the last.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 9, 2008, 12:09 PM
    You do file a police report, called lost or stolen property, since if someone finds it, and does not return it, it can be a form of theft ( in some states)
    Also this puts the serial number into the stolen phone data base in case someone finds it, and wants to try and use it.

Unless you have a GPS tracking system installed in the phone, comes only in a few specail ones, there is really no way to find it, The best they could do is find what tower it is using, and even that in some rual areas can be a 10 or more square mile area.

I would hope you bought insurance on the phone, I would never own a phone without it, then it only costs 50 dollars to replace ( most plans)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How To Track My Lost Cell Phone? [ 2 Answers ]

:( Okay, basically I lost my cell phone in school, and I don't know where it is. I don't know if someone stole it or it's somewhere else. Can you track a phone without using the police? And how? I know my cellphone is on but I put it on silence before I went to school. I keep calling it but...

Cell phone [ 2 Answers ]

How do I retrieve a message on voice mail that was not deleted? It simply vanished. It was not deleted.

Already own cell phone? [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone direct me or inform me?I previously had a contract with a company who provided cell phone service(ALLTELL) The contract has been Up(1year) 9th of Jan 2005.Iwould like to use my exsisting phone(Motorola) And sign on with a new company.Most PCS will not do this,you have to use Their...

View more questions Search