Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Vera78 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 02:11 PM
    Bio-Father wants rights after abandonment
    I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met someone else that has been raising her since she was 5 months old, and that's the only dad she knows. I want to know if he still has any rights to her?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2006, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Vera78
    I had a daughter with this guy that never wanted her. He even said that she was not his. I told him to take the paternity test and he did'nt want to. So now 3 years later, he has another family and want's to take the paternity test, and wants visitation rights. I already went on with my life, met someone else that has been raising her since she was 5 months old, and that's the only dad she knows. I want to know if he still has any rights to her?

Unless he signed over his rights at the time he left, he can always take you to court for visitiation rights and even custody rights ( although he has little chance at custody, he very well has right for visitiation that the court may uphold)

He will go into court show how he was wrong then, how he is SOOOOOO sorry and has changed his life and gotten his life in order now.
    ( you know boo hoo, poor me)

Now on the same turn you have rights to child support, health insurance from the father and so on.

** I am assuming you did not use the news paper for legal notice and had the new man in your life adopt the child previous.

** also assuming that there has been no previous legal matters, child support, custody and the such given by any court.

What you need is a very good child custody and child support attorney.
    Dee22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
    My best advice would be patient and think of the best interests of your child.
    Itr's nice to think that we would all do that - but when it comes to the crunch - its diffucult if you feel someone has abandoned you.
    I have a male friend who has recently been on the other side of this fence... he suffered with real problems coming to grips that he was going to be a dad. He did come around though, after about three years. By this stage he had married and the mother of the child was with another man. It took a lot of guts for him to speak with them (it's fair to say she REALLY didn't like him at this point - she felt like when he walked away he'd abandoned her as well as the child). To admitt our wrongs is a hard thing to do, especially so when there's a child involved and your realise you've missed out on years of their life.
    At the end of the day, if he can offer the child some stable fathering, it has to be a good thing for the child. The hardest thing at this point, as my friend discovered, is taking your differences (ie you and him) out of the picture.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Yes, he does. He can go to court, petition for an order to have a DNA test done and, if proven to be the father, get visitation rights and an order to pay child support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

So you mean I'm a new father with no rights? [ 8 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend just gave birth last Thursday to a baby girl which I believe is mine. She is very manupulative, and yesterday told me never to call or come by again. All through her stay at the hospital, no one, not a single nurse or caregiver would even speak to me - in fact they were more...

Bio father rights/abandonment of child/child support? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 6 weeks pregnant and the father is my ex boyfriend. I reached out to him 3 different times to see how he felt about this and what his interest would be in terms of involvement with his child. He has been quite verbally hostile and told me to die and other choice things. What time frame...

Father parental rights? [ 7 Answers ]

I havent seen my son in about 5 years or so even though we live a stone throw away. I have always acknowledged him with each birthday and xmas too. He is seven years of age and my ex partner has a new life as I do too. I have tried to hide my pain over these years hoping she'd have the decency...

Underaged pregnancy, the father have rights? [ 14 Answers ]

I just turned 17, my girlfriend who is 16 is about a month pregnant already making plans. I am the father of the child and I live hundreds and hundreds of miles away from my girlfriend. Her mother and father are supporting her. I want to be a full part of the child's life and take care of my...

Step father rights to adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my partner have been together over two years we have a baby together and I have a son from a previous relationship. My partner James has always looked upon my son as his own and has been there since he was 6 months old. My sons dad doesn't have contact with him as I got fed up of doing all...

View more questions Search