Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Diaper Cake - DIY?
    I am hosting a baby shower for a dear friend in two weeks, and am interested in making my own diaper cake. I will use this cake as my centerpiece as well as the focus of our memory game. Does anyone out there know how to create the diaper ckae that has the diapers overlapping each other in a wave fasion rather than the one that has the rolled diapes? I have mastered the rolled diaper cake, but really love thelook of the other. I have attached pics if it helps. Thanks in advance for any help...
    What I want..

What I do..
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 7, 2008, 10:35 AM
    I have no idea how to create a diaper cake but have a question. When making the rolled up diaper cake you use clothe diapers right? But when making the wave one it looks to be disposable diapers is that correct?
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 10:42 AM
    I use disposable on the rolled one. You can use cloth, but disposable would be more useful...
    DiaperCakeBecca Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Sep 22, 2008, 03:16 AM

So funny... that is MY diaper cake she wants to do, I am flattered. The key to doing this type of cake is pinwheeling the diapers. It works best with the Swaddlers because they are the most malleable (flexible?).

You want to arrange them, standing on edge, in an overlapping/scalloped fashion. Use something solid in the center to lean them against, if need be. Form a circle with your pinwheel.

Secure the tier with a ribbon (any old ribbon will work). Tie it tight. Remove anything you were using in the center to support the diapers and insert individually rolled diapers (no rubber bands neccesary) into the center to make the tier tight. Tight is the key... you don't want it falling apart on you or the recipient!

Now... use your nice ribbon and cut it so it is about four inches longer than the tier is around. Grab a HOT GLUE GUN and glue down the edge that will be exposed at the bag to create a nice straight edge. Wrap this ribbon around your cake and hot glue the ribbon to itself (be careful... no glue on the diapers, please!). You can layer your ribbon, too, by adding additional ribbon on top of the first layer.

Repeat for your additional tiers.

Also, make sure your proportions are correct. You may want to assemble the entire cake with the "whatever" ribbon before securing those tiers with the nice ribbon. You want the spacing between each tier to be just right.

Good luck... and feel free to check out my fabulous diaper cake site for more photos, ideas... or to order your own custom diaper cake!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Goodman a/c DIY [ 5 Answers ]

Hi again everyone. I found a couple of online sites that offer do it yourselfers the opportunity to install a complete a/c unit. The brand that is offered on these sites is Goodman. I have redone all the plumbing and electrical in my house so I don't think this would be too big of a hassle. I...

Why will I diy? [ 5 Answers ]

Why will I diy?

I want to have a Diaper Shower and a regular Baby Shower! [ 4 Answers ]

I want to know what exactly is a Diaper Shower? Have you ever had one or been to one? What kinds of gifts to you bring? (only diaper-related things?)

Sewing a Diaper Bag [ 3 Answers ]

I am interested in sewing a diaper bag for my sister. She is having her first baby and I want to do something special. I've looked around for some free patterns but haven't come across anything. Does anyone have any patterns they have used before, or know of any good locations to get free...

Handmade diaper bag [ 1 Answers ]

So I am pregnant and have been put on bed rest for the next few weeks. So technically I am trying to keep myself from going crazy. A friend of mine has a diaper bag that her sister made her and I would like to make my own. I have yet to find a pattern on line. So if anyone has a pattern they...

View more questions Search