Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buggage Posts: 1,514, Reputation: 165
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:30 PM
    One thing they never tell you about
    I just wanted to stop by here and post a quick note of advice to all you moms and soon to be moms. When in the hospital etc, you are always showered with advice on what to do, and what to remember etc. One thing they never seem to mention is to check your children's toes and fingers often. The reason I say this is because often times when doing your laundry, loose hair becomes tangled in your clothes, etc. we've all been there. Simply annoying... until it becomes potentially dangerous. Its amazingly easy for loose hairs to get on your children's clothing, then becoming wrapped around your little tots fingers, or toes (and even occasionally, you find it in their diapers, once they start crawling all over, etc. so it's a good idea to check your wee man's weeny now and then too) the hair works itself around their little extremeties, and becomes tighter and tighter, cutting off circulation amazingly quickly. I once read a story on this in the Parents magazine, and a little girls toe had turned deep purple and they were afraid they were going to lose her toe, but were able to save it, all because of a little hair. I just wanted to write this, as I try to check my kids toes every morning and night, and I forgot to last night, and found two hairs wrapped tightly around two of my 8 month olds toes, starting to turn them red. I quickly unwrapped them and they are fine now. The hairs (especially light colored) are hard to notice at times, so look close. If your little one is every cranky for seemingly no reason, make sure you check those fingers and toes, they just might have a tangled hair
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Wonderful practical advice, buggage. I don't have little ones anymore but you know, I kind of remember this happened to my little guy a number of years ago. Finger wasn't swollen or red but hair was wrapped around it. Just goes to show 'little things mean a lot'.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Absolutely! I really think its something they need to start telling new parents
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Feb 7, 2008, 10:32 AM
    Good advice! I never really even thought about that, but now that I think about it it makes sense. There are many times that I find loose hairs on me so of course some will end up on my baby.
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Feb 7, 2008, 11:03 AM
    With amount of hair my little guy grabs I'm shocked I have any left!
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Yep, its especially dangerous in sleeper outfits. I try to check the inside of my sons footy sleepers before I put them on him, and I'm amazed at how many hair balls and loose hair I find gets trapped down in there. I always just thought of it as gross, until I read that story, then I realized they are just as dangerous as gross. Haha

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I do the right thing [ 2 Answers ]

Hey there, First of all thanks for listen to me... I'm a 27 yrs lesbian with 2 kids. I've been in 3 lesbian relationships in the 8 yrs I been a lesbian. One was for 4 yrs,other 1yr.. abut the one that have me really...

How do I know I'm doing the right thing! [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 8 years. We have two Kids (Boy 5 and Girl 6) Our familys Have been a great help with a lot over the years however I have had a lot emotional problems since having the kids. I used to work in the clubs (bar work) and now the kids are at school I have gone back...

How do I go about doing the right thing. [ 4 Answers ]

Okay I would just like to find out if anyone could give me advice on the following I have two problems... :( I am going out with my boyfriend for four months and we have a good relationships With minor problems 1> I really love him and keep telling me he loves me but something I think...

I need to know, did I do the right thing? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok, this guy has been head over heals for me for the last seven years. I have never actually felt that I loved him back, but I think that peer pressure prevented me from doing so. Now that we are in college I've realized how much of a I am and I feel that he deserves better than me. I tried every...

View more questions Search