Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thinline Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 03:19 PM
    H1B / H4 , filing status , dual status
    I am an Indian Citizen who entered US along with my spouse for the first time on 30 March 2007 on H1-B Visa. Since then, I have not changed my visa status to any other visa and I have not travelled outside US. My spouse is on H4 visa.

I have the following questions:

1. Am I dual status individual? (See below for number of days physically present in US)
    Number of Days in US since March 2007:
    -------------------------------------------------
    March 07 to Dec 07 - 277 Days
    Jan 08 to Feb 08 - 36 Days

2. Which forms do I have to use to file my tax return for 2007? Do I need to file as Single or Married filing Jointly or any other type? What is best in terms of return?

3. As I would also be applying for ITIN, what option do I mark under "Reason for Applying" in form W-7?

Awaiting a reply! Please help.

Thanks in advance!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 11:44 AM
    You can file resident tax return as Married Filing Jointly.

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and children and attach with your tax return. On W7 select spouse of resident.
    You can also deduct moving expenses. Use form 3903.
    Mukat A

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual-status filing, and L1 [ 3 Answers ]

I moved to US last July 15th under a L1 visa, so I'll have 169 days by the end of this year. According to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/criteria-dual-status-filing-64475.html I may chose to fill taxes under non-resident alien or as resident-alien, but there's no obligation by law to use...

Dual Status Filing [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I am from India. For the year of 2006, I was on OPT from Jan through March and on H-1B from April through December... I have two W-2 forms... So I assume that I should file my taxes as a dual status alien... Is that true? If yes, I understand that I should file two forms (1040 and...

Dual Status resident filing [ 1 Answers ]

I arrived in United States in March 2006 on H1B and my wife joined me in October 2006 as H4. I am aware that I am a non resident until March and then became resident alien for the remaining year. Since my wife joined me in October she is a non resident alien and can I claim her on my taxes as an...

Criteria for Dual-Status Filing [ 0 Answers ]

Ladies and Gentlemen: I spoke with the International Tax representatives at the IRS in mid-January. I was not satisfied with some guidance I had received regarding the requirements of dual-status tax reporting. Here is the new guidance direct from the IRS: Dual-status is required if the...

Dual Status? (F1 to H1B) [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I hope someone can help me on this. I have been in the US for 3.5 years(still single); 2003.09~2006.1.2 on F1(including OPT)and 2006.01.03 ~ present on H1B. As you may have noticed, my H1B effective date was 2006.01.03. That means Jan.01 and Jan.02 I was still on OPT. Do I have to file as...

View more questions Search