Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starshine1 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 12:20 PM
    New circuit for unfinished basement
    Hi -
    I'm starting a project,and just want to make sure I've got things straight! Thanks for your help!
    Our 1934 house lacks receptacles on one side of the unfinished basement. I want to run
    A new circuit from the 100amp box, and there is room in the box.
    I can run (12 gauge?) romex for a 20 amp circuit from the box,through floor joists,
    To opposite wall. Then, romex through conduit down the wall to first receptacle box.
    I understand this first box needs to have GFI receptacle. Then, I'll daisy chain through conduit to next receptacle box (a fourplex) and next (another fourplex). These do not need to be GFI, correct? Am I missing any important info?
    Thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 12:32 PM
    Sounds fine, GFI in first receptacle. Load side to the 2 Quads. You may not need GFI at all.
    Why do you think you need one?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 12:44 PM
    The code requires GFI in unfinished basements. If you are finishing off this area you do not have to use GFI. Why are you running conduit? Does your local code require it. Read direction, GFI can be wired stand alone or to protect outlets downstream.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 02:57 PM
    All I have to add is if the conduit you use is metal, when the Romex enters each piece of conduit that runs down the concrete wall to protect the cable, be sure to use a special connector made to couple cable to EMT. It has a set screw for the EMT end and a two screw cable clamp at the other end.

If you use PVC conduit, the cable still needs to "connect" to the conduit, you can use an FA Female Adapter and thread a Romex connector into it.

Just to be clear, as HK mentions, all outlets in an unfinished basement need to be GFI protected. This can be by either a circuit breaker or one GFI receptacle at the first outlet in the circuit.

Feb 6, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Thanks,everyone.
    I'll be using metal conduit on the masonry walls, and I'll be sure to use the special connectors you mentioned.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 06:41 PM
    Sorry about that, we don't have basements in our county, Actually I know of 1underground gun range, an an underground Wine Celler, Oh yeah under Ernest Hemmingway's House about 90 miles away. One last one under a local business. They should be on a Tour. We are near Sea Level, I can't give locations

Feb 11, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Thanks for all your help.
    One further question (upon further internet exploration): Do I need to strip NM cable where it runs through metal conduit? Is there a maximum length I can run NM cable through protective conduit along a wall? Or should I start with NM wire to the point where it meets the wall,install a jbox there, and then use THWN wires to go through conduit and from receptacle box to box?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 02:09 PM
    NM can go through conduit indefinitely. Although, very long runs or with any bends will prohibit pulling NM cable.

What your proposing, using shot pieces coming down the wall, are probably only going to be 6 to 10 feet at best.

Just sleeve the cable as is, stripping only the portion of cable that will be in the outlet box. Be sure to leave at least 6 inches of wire in the box.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unfinished basement quaring new walls [ 2 Answers ]

Just in the planning stages of finishing my basement. When I actually start to locate my 1st wall, what's the correct method to get it/them squared? Thought I remember someone talking about a 2,3,4 rule? Is it easier to start with an inside corner or an outside corner first. Do I take...

Painting an unfinished basement celing [ 3 Answers ]

Any advice on painting an unfinished basement ceiling. I did read the posts about spraying But what type of paint wshould be used to cover the wiring, ducts etc as well as the joists etc. Has anyone tried this apporach. It is popular in commercial spaces and I have seen it in a few basement...

Installing shower in unfinished basement [ 1 Answers ]

I'm beginning a project to add a basement bathroom in our house. The house is only two years old and the basement is unfinished with concrete slab. The builder roughed in a drain for the toilet, sink and also the shower. My question is about the shower drain. Currently it is a 2" pvc pipe...

Building a 1/2 Bath in an Unfinished Basement [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all. This is my first post on this forum. :) I want to build a 1/2 bath and separate utility room in my unfinished basement. The utility room will be behind the bathroom (in front of, going by the orientation of the first picture below) and hide the heat pump fan coil (air handler),...

Painting an unfinished basement ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

We are finishing our basement and have decided to paint the unfinished basement ceiling. I'm looking to insilate between the floor for sound proofing. What are the best solutions to do this. Also what suggestion on shade of paint light or dark,textured or smooth,laytext or oil based. All help is...

View more questions Search