Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ludmila1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 10:58 AM
    Legal fee/filing fee as misc expense
    Hi,
    I and my husband intend to file joint return. We will itemize deductions. We have some H1 and employer based filing fee and attorney fee for our green card. Can I deduct that under misc. deductions ? Since it is employment based, it is not a "personal" legal fee.
    Which forms should I use 2106?

Thanks,
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 10:52 AM
    How is the Green card fee job related? Application for H1-b is filed by employer and only employer can deduct these expenses.

Also your standard deduction is $10,700. You will itemize only if your itemized deduction are more than this amount. Employee business related expenses are subject to 2% AGI limit.
    ludmila1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 01:37 PM
    Hi Mukat,
    Thank you for your answer,
    The legal charges in GC that I was referring to were pertaining employment based category. We need it since we write grants which are open ONLY to US-citizens/perm reisdent. If we are not perm res. we can't write those, subsequently can't generate funds for research group or the organisation.

That is why I was asking if they fall under business related expense.
    Itemizing ded is our best choice since we have home related expenses.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Ludmila:

Sorry, MukatA is correct.

Green Card legal expenses are considered to be personal legal expenses by the IRS and CANNOT be deducted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recording credit card fee expense! Where? [ 4 Answers ]

Transaction : Recorded credit card fee expense for December, $846.60. M78. (Debit credit card fee expense, and credit cash) 1. Since its Memorandom, I thought I should put it on General Journal. However, When I get to post it, there is only 2 lines left for Cash ledger, and those two lines...

Is it legal for TX apts to charge late fee PLUS concession fee? [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my apt complex going on 5 years. Last month I was late paying my rent a couple of days because I was out of town on business. When I got back and called to get the total amount due, it was an outrageously high amount of money. When I asked him to break down the charges, he said...

Pet Fee Legal? [ 5 Answers ]

Our landlord in CA wants to charge us a "one time rent increase of $500" if we get a pet. We checked our rental agreement-- we did not have a pet when we rented-- it says that if we get a pet we need to have the specific written permisison of the owner. There is no dollar amount listed in the...

Penalty fee for filing tax return late [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have been asked by the IRS to file tax return for the tax period 12-31-2005. By the time, I was an international student in the U.S. working as an independent contractor. I received the 1099 Misc Form from my former company showing the total amount of 18600 USD in box 7. Since I...

Legal Fee tax deduction [ 1 Answers ]

I went through a divorce in 2005. I spent about $10,000. The process covered everything from estate, tax issues, custody, and child support. What if any portion of this could be tax deductible?

View more questions Search