Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    joeke02uk Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Alcohol delivery business
    I want to start an alcohol delivery business, is any body can tell me the legal aspect of starting an alcohol delivery business?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 02:50 AM
    Are you asking about transporting alcoholic beverages to places where they will be sold?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 03:37 AM
    Or are you talking about making home deliveries?
    deamonbusiness Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Feb 7, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joeke02uk
    I want to start an alcohol delivery buisness, is any body can tell me the legal aspect of starting an alcohol delivery buisness?
    Do you have a personal Licence to start with?

Feb 7, 2008, 05:00 PM
    I don't have any kind of licence yet. I have the Idea to start it, but I don't have any clue where to start it. I am planning to have my own storage and delivery people, so I receive an order and deliver it to homes or any where they want the drinks at.
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2008, 05:03 PM
    Interesting. Then you will have a plan on verification of age. I can see adults buying alcohol for teens and having it delivered to the home. Not everyone is honest, unfortunately.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 7, 2008, 05:10 PM
    I agree with Shy here. I see this as a litigious disaster waiting to happen. Depending on where you live, the licensing for such a business may be non-existant due to the risks involved.

Feb 7, 2008, 10:59 PM
    There will be a strict ID verification form that I planned to prepare. As for me, when my delivery guys deliver the drinks, they going to retain a copy of the form for reference. If any thing happened, I don't think I will be liable for it because I delivered/sold it for a legal over the age person. I have the copy of Id verification form signed by the receiver. So if he/she gave it to a third person who is under age, I believe it is not my fault.

P.S I live in California!!
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Check that out with your attorney. You know how sue happy people get once they get into trouble. Even bars now are being sued when someone gets picked up on a DWI/DUI.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Bars? How about grocery stores? Yes, grocery stores in many states are now getting sued when someone gets a DUI/DWI, or an accident, if the birth date of the purchaser is not on the receipt when the purchaser purchased the alcohol in question.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I did not know about the grocery stores. Here grocery stores are not allowed to sell alcohol. If I had a liquor store I would look to sell it and count my blessings.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 04:49 PM
    Where I am our grocery stores sell beer, liquor stores sell liquor. Anyone can sell cigarettes.

HOWEVER, you must present ID with every purchase... beer, liquor, or cigarettes, no matter how old you are.

You could be 95 years old and still have to show ID. That is a CYA for the stores, as many older folks will buy alcohol and cigarettes for younger folks.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2008, 05:10 PM
    There was a big bust here two weekends ago, particularly to find adults buying alcohol for minors. Police made almost 20 arrests. Never ceases to amaze me. But then I was 18 once and one time my oldest brother bought beer for my friends and I. My parents found out and it was not pretty. Never did that stupid thing again.

I like the idea that everyone is carded, no matter how old. It is definitely CYA.

Feb 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
    As you are in the US I can not help you too much but I run the same business over here. The restrictions that you have imposed on your delivery are always up for negotiation with the relevant autorities. Over here they wanted me to do so much but I had a very good consultant and we used the law to our advantage.

The reason I say this is because sometimes the Police over here try to impose you with totally unresonable conditions. Once you prove that these are totally unworkable for a business operation and come up with some alternatives then this is really what they are looking for.

Example: In the UK the biggest hot topic is under age drinking and anti-social behaviour. Well all my drivers are trainned every six months, everyone has to pay by card, ID must be shown if looks under 21 at the address and if they cannot prove this the delivery is refused and then the person inccurs a £5 handling charge! Plus we do not accept cash and we only deliver to homes or offices.

It can be done you just have to find a way around the autorities and speak to the right people and make sure that you have done your home work as this will speak volumes for your credibility.
    al1012 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3
    -

Feb 11, 2008, 01:18 PM
    I don't like alcohol and I would tell you not to start it but I can't stop u

Feb 11, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by al1012
    i dont like alcohol and i would tell u not to start it but i can't stop u

This is not wholly helpful and is your personal view. They will not just deliver alcohol, they may deliver Ice, soft drinks, snacks and if you are a smoker then mabe some cigarettes for you?? The business is not limited to alcohol!
    al1012 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3
    -

Feb 11, 2008, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deamonbusiness
    This is not wholly helpful and is your personal view. They will not just deliver alcohol, they may deliver Ice, soft drinks, snacks and if you are a smoker then mabe some cigarettes for you??? The business is not limited to alcohol!!
    OK well I don't smoke and I never will and same with drinking alcohol and I c your point

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Periods After Delivery [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... thanks for your time I delivered in Jun 07, and my baby is 7 months old now. I had periods, little on heavier side, only ONCE. It has been more almost two months now that I have not had periods. I am breastfeeding. Is this normal. Please suggest.

Moving delivery business [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I worked as a mover an am wanting to start my very own moving company One thing I'm very concerned about is where to find the business If anyone out there has the answer to how moving companies get there business It would be very beneficial to me and very much appreciated :confused:

Starting a truck driving/ delivery business [ 3 Answers ]

We are thinking of starting a truck driving/ delivery business. WE would have 2 drivers, 2 loaders. What could the 5th person do? Please help us

Special delivery [ 9 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I just want to let everyone know that I had the baby on dec 2nd she was 6 pounds and 9.5 oz and 18 1/2 inches long and everything went well, I was suppose to have her on the 11th but she had other plans : ), I hope all is well with everyone and I just want to say thank you for all...

10 weeks after delivery [ 1 Answers ]

10 weeks after delivery- bleeding heavily - but still within guidelines given to me by my ob - no ememrgency. I have bled lightly once a week or so since delivery. Had an ultrasound that revealed a little bit of lining of my uterus still left. OB said it wasn't a problem. Am I just having my...

View more questions Search