Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Romeo26222 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 09:57 AM
    Can't get new ip when rebooting netgear dg834g v3
    Hello
    I have a connection with a dynamic ip but when I choose to reboot the router from the menu I got the same ip address but when I unplug the power cord and restart the router again I got a different ip
    Why I can't get the new ip when rebooting the router like what I was able to do with dg834 wired router?
    Thanks in advane
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 11, 2008, 10:58 PM
    Rebooting the router and unplugging the router have two different effects. Your router is apparently not saving the DHCP assigned addresses when you unplug it. Since a reboot does not disconnect the power, the memory is not lost and it is still able to retain the data. This can get messy if you have more than just a couple of devices on your network. It is possible that there could be an IP address conflict if the router looses the address table and hands out an address currently in use by another computer.

When a PC (or printer, etc) is first turned and networking is established, it advertises itself to the network for any available DHCP server. The server responds with an assigned address from the available pool of addresses. The period in which the PC keeps the address is called the Lease period. About 60% through the Lease, your computer will start to advertise itself again and request that it continue to use the assigned address. If the PC is not able to request an extension on the Lease (powered off, etc.), the address is placed back into the pool of available addresses for future use by the DHCP server.

By using the IPCONFIG command at the command prompt, you can force some of these actions to take place.

IPCONFIG /RELEASE causes the network adapter to give up the address lease.
    IPCONFIG /RENEW causes the network adapter to request a new address lease.
    IPCONFIG /ALL shows the currently assigned network information.

You may configure your router's DHCP server to provide longer or shorter lease periods. Most common is between 1 and 7 days. If you do not wish to automatically obtain an IP address and wish to assign a static IP address, do not use an address that is within the range of addresses in the DHCP Scope (available address pool).
    chadvonnau Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2011, 07:02 AM
    I'm having a similar issue with the dg834g v4 router.

All my computers/devices are using DHCP (2 wired, 3 wireless) and when the wireless ones go to sleep/wake up, sometimes they say there is another device on the network using the same IP, and from there on they cannot get IPs from the router. If I use static IPs, I can connect again. This has happened to both my macbook pro & my iPod touch.

I'm using WPA2 for wireless. Firmware is 5.01.16 (highest certified for use outside of N. America).

Totally annoying and the first time I've ever seen this with a router.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 19, 2011, 10:28 PM

Please post a new question and don't piggyback on a 3 year old post.

To answer your question, extend your IP lease period. See if this helps!

When this happens you can manually release the devices IP and renew a new IP by a simple command in command prompt. Instead of setting the IP statically, go into command prompt and run these two commands:

1. ipconfig /release
    2. ipconfig /renew

This will look at what your router/modems IP scope is, what IP's are taken, which are available and it will give you the first IP available in your scope!

What seems to be happening is your lease-time is set too minimal. When your computer goes to sleep it loses that IP due to leasetime but your adapter is still set to that IP because it was no longer connected to the network (because it was sleeping) therefore when it wakes it still tries to connect via that IP although another device has already taken it.

Disable power management as well. This will prevent turning off your adapter when your computer sleeps!
    chadvonnau Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2011, 04:00 AM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    Thanks for the tips, but I tried releasing/renewing/adjusting lease times/etc. There is a problem with this router. This page ranks high in Google when you search for problems about this router so I believe my comment is valuable.
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

Jan 21, 2011, 11:13 AM

Yes, your comment is very valuable but creating your own thread will be generate more traffic!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Netgear WGR614v5 [ 12 Answers ]

Why do I need to be connected to my net gear WGR614v5 wireless router with my internet cable, when I'm not connected to the router and try to search for wireless networks in range the computer tells me that windows cannot configure the wireless because of the programmes being run, this has only...

Netgear problems [ 3 Answers ]

I installed a router and for various reasons I had to tweak it, but, since I haven't logged in in so long, I forgot where I put the password, and had to reset the router - thinking it would be no problem just to reset the controls to the way I want them, since I knew the default password and all...

Netgear USB Adapter [ 1 Answers ]

I have two USB adapters and cannot get either to work. I know I may be a little dense. I am trying to link a Laptop (which has its own adapter) to my PC and thereby to my Printer, but I give up!!

Reconfigure netgear router [ 2 Answers ]

How do I reconfigure my netgear WGR614v2 to use a different gateway address than 192.168.0.1 ?

View more questions Search