Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robyg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 09:16 AM
    Can't undo in Excel 2003
    In my Excel 2003 the tab UNDO is permanently greyed out and inoperative (and ctrl z doesn't work either). I have uninstalled and reinstalled Office 2003 without getting any improvement. Also I have checked with Microsoft that all applicable updates have been installed.
    I have discovered that if I start Excel in safe mode (by holding ctrl down while Excel opens) the problem doesn't occur - UNDO works okay. What can I do to get it to work correctly in normal mode?
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 06:58 PM
    Does this help?

How to modify the number of undo levels in Excel
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:05 PM
    Hmm, check this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jerry2\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

Replace Jerry2 with your login account.

If there's anything in that folder, it autoloads when Excel starts. Try removing/renaming the files in here and see if the beahvior stops.

It could also be in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
    Robyg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JBeaucaire
    Hmm, check this folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jerry2\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

replace Jerry2 with your login account.

If there's anything in that folder, it autoloads when Excel starts. Try removing/renaming the files in here and see if the beahvior stops.

It could also be in:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11
    ==================================
    Thanks for this and your previous suggestion. Actually, I had already checked the two folders you mention: there were no files at all in either of them. About the other possibility - that add-ins are being loaded by instructions in the registry - I had also discovered this from Microsoft. But, never having had dealings with the registry before, I am reluctant (afraid even) to try this cure. For the present I'll just continue working in safe mode.

Robyg
    tratip Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 10:02 AM
    For each version of Excel, use Regedit to go to:

(For Excel 2007):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\E xcel\Options

(For Excel 2003):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\E xcel\Options

(For Excel 2002):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\E xcel\Options

Edit "UndoHistory" and change the value to between 1 - 100
    dinaels Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 06:18 AM
    Tratip, THANK YOU a million times. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out why I can't redo. Your registry edit suggestion worked. I wonder if my registry cleaner program caused this problem to begin with... And if so, how to stop it from doing so in the future. Thanks again, you saved me hours..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Modify Hyperlinks in Excel 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I upgraded to excel 2003 from excel 2000. The 2003 version modified my hyperlinks putting %20 where there had blank spaces. I found why and took care of that problem, but, it didn't change what had been change. So I need to replace the %20 with blank spaces, and since I have thousands to do I...

Excel 2003 Issue [ 1 Answers ]

My company recently updated the Office package from 2000 to 2003. A spreadsheet I have worked fine in 2000 , but now will not work. I received a message that Excel detected errors and repairs were made. It also states that I lost Visual Basic Project and ActiveX Controls. After the...

Wrap Text in Excel 2003 [ 5 Answers ]

Am setting up a table for my DVD collection, so far, so good. Under the Notes column where I put in information regarding the movie, I've been going to Format, Cells, Alignment and clicking Wrap Text to get how I want it. Is there a way where the text would wrap without me doing that for every...

Excel 2003 issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with the auto calculation feature in excel. It doesn't seem to be working. I have to use the super calculation feature, crtl+F9 or F9 in order for the calculation to work. Do you know why this is? I'm running excel 2003 (Office 2003 SP1) and the file was saved in excel XP....

View more questions Search