Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rooksc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2008, 08:30 AM
    Itemized
    If me and my husband filed separetly can both of us itenized our returns?
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 11:24 AM
    Yes. If you file separately and either of you itemize, then both of you must itemize. If you file separately and neither of you itemize, then you both take the standard deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Itemized deduction [ 3 Answers ]

Myself and my husband both are working. I am working in L1 Visa and my husband is working in L2 Visa. His contract was initially for 1 year from Jan 2007 - Jan 2008. Currently, his contract has been extended and he is working from home nowonwards. He is paid in hourly basis and not salaried...

Standard and/or itemized deduction [ 2 Answers ]

In 2006, I was a resident of Louisiana between January and August and a resident of Texas between August and December. I know that I can itemize my state income tax in Louisiana. Given that there is no state income tax in Texas, I wonder if I can add sale tax that I paid for a big purchase item in...

L1 and itemized deduction [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Could you please help me understand the itemized deductions. I came to the US in July 2005 and electronically filed my taxes for 2005. But lot of my friends tell me that if I use itemized deductions, I can get more refund. I was in the US for the entire 2006 till Nov.. From Nov mid -...

Itemized deductions on J-1 visa [ 11 Answers ]

I participated as a student exchange visitor in Work&Travel Program. I was on a J-1 visa during 2004. I am not a student working on a degree. My taxable income consist only W-2 forms. All of the income which I had generated is from personal services? Can I deduct travel expences "away from...

F1-H1-Itemized Deduction [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Sorry if these questions are very naïve. I came here on a F-1 visa in Aug'01 and am originally from india. Last year I was working on an OPT till Sept 30th and started working on a H-1 from Oct 1st. 1)Which form do I use: 1040-NR or 1040 NR-EZ or something else? 2)Will I still be able to...

View more questions Search