Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Hello smear:

Well, I'm going to ridicule you for suggesting that Bush bomb Iran and leave THAT mess to the next guy (or chick). If Iraq was dumb, and it was, this would be 100 times dumber.

I don't put it past the dufus in chief to do it, though.

excon
    smearcase Posts: 2,392, Reputation: 316
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 09:50 AM
    Leaving a mess for the next president is of no concern when it comes to the defense of the country. We have to stop trying to manage the greatest country in the world by planning in 4 year increments.

I think that any action against Iran should occur when the chances of military success are best. The day after they nuke one of the middleast countries would not be the best timing. I can't envision the middleast with a nuclear-armed Iran.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
    Hello again, smear:

Committing the country to a disastrous war (even more disastrous than the one he DID commit us to) and then going back home to clear brush would be the most stupid, short sighted and craziest thing he could do.

But, he's not alone, is he?

excon
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 09:59 AM
    Well, Obama wants to smoke the peace pipe, or something, with the puppet/dictator; he believes he can charm his way through Tehran, similar to Roosevelt's notion with Uncle Joe. He views the ruling mullahs like the editorial board of a northeastern newspaper.
    Uber Member

May 20, 2008, 10:25 AM
    Hello again,

I don't know when diplomacy became a dirty word to you folks. I also didn't know that diplomacy meant lying down. Do you really think we ought to bomb them, and talk later??

You do, don't you?

Well, fortunately for us, your way of thinking is on the outs.

excon
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2008, 10:32 AM
    smearcase yes the remarks about Russia were partly tongue in cheek. Despite the fact that the Ruskies know that eventually the Frankenstein they create will turn on them; it is in their interests to have us engaged in a struggle against Iran .They have in fact helped them upgrade surface to air capability.

I personally think the decision could be out of our control . The Iranians have been testing our fleet by deploying speed boats in an attempt I guess to recreate a Gulf of Tonkin moment or at least test our defenses . Given the history with things like the USS Cole attack ,the fleet will respond before they let a repeat sneak attack occure.

The world and the region may publicly make phony outcries if Iran and us came to blows but the choice of a nuclear armed Iran is intolerable and they know it . I also think it would not serve the Iranians best interest. Either proliferation would spread to the wealthy Gulf States ;or they would come under the American nuclear umbrella. Iran would indeed guarantee a permanent US presence in the region.

As for your speculation ;I think that President Bush may indeed decide that he has to make a move before the end of his term. The problem we have had with Iran post revolution is that we have too often settled for talk. We have talked weakly and we have talked tough. But besides the Tanker War ,we have not backed it up. The case can easily be made for action . US troops continue to take casualties from Iranian trained proxies and Iranian made weapons.

Iran is looking at the real possibility of having a weaker President to deal with in the future. They also believe that in the election year ;and with our other commitments they have a carte-blanche to act with impunity this year.That is why the Hezbollah take over of Lebanon occurred this month. Don't be mistaken by their pullback . That came in the wake of heavy concessions by the pro-government forces .They are negotiating the terms of their dhiminitude now.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

May 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
    OK the terms of the Lebanon surrender to Hezbollah are in :
    The surrender agreement gives Hezbollah the following:

1) 11 seats in the Cabinet and a veto power over final decisions

2) It keeps Hezbollah's weapons intact despite a UNSCR 1559 that called for disarming the militia

3) It will give Hezbollah significant influence over foreign policy
    It will give Syria :
    1) A capacity of using its allies in the new Lebanese Government to delay the process of the Hariri Tribunal.

2) A growing ally inside Lebanon

According to the agreement, a new President is to be elected next Sunday, General Michel Sleiman.The pro-US Lebanese Government of Seniora will be disbanded next week .The Cedar Revolution is dead because we did not give them the support they deserve.

Expect Israel to be attacked via Lebanon again this summer. That may be the time that President Bush moves against Iran.
    Galveston1 Posts: 362, Reputation: 53

Jun 1, 2008, 03:02 PM
    My belief is thae Israel will launch a pre-emptive attack against Iran's nuclear assets. Since they (Israel) know that the first application of Iranian nuclear weapons will be against them, they have no choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nuclear holocaust with monsters lurking in nearby woods [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking for a movie I saw in the early to mid 70's where a group of folks gather at a mansion or house and, I believe, are the sole survivors of a nuclear holocaust; there are pools and lakes nearby and creatures tend to hunt the humans as they go out for walks on the grounds. Can't...

Airplane with nuclear holocost [ 4 Answers ]

Trying to remember movie with a great airplane disaster scene. I think that James Earl Jones was the president but I'm not sure. It was like but not, Air Force One. I think they took off right before a bomb went off.

Iran nuclear program [ 31 Answers ]

How does the NIE released yesterday change the political equation in the Middle East ? It doesn't make sense . Why would the Mahdi Hatter threaten to rain fire down upon Israel if they were not still working on their nuclear weapon program ? Does this represent reality or the consensus...

The truth [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. Is saying the truth a wrong thing in a relationship? I told my fiancé that I will have a second wife after our marriage which is allowed in Islam and she turned me off. Please I need your help to solve this problem. Thanks:confused:

Nuclear tests vs Earth's orbit [ 17 Answers ]

How powerful would nuclear blast on the Earth's surface have to be in order nudge it slightly from its orbit?

View more questions Search