Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 12:16 AM
    Why? I don't get it!
    This is for everyone who is eligible to vote but doesn't... why not exercise your right to vote?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:06 AM
    There are lots of reasons, the main one being apathetic ("absence or suppression of passion, emotion, or excitement"). On a humorous note, I heard one fellow say he didn't vote because he didn't want to be responsible for electing any of the politicians.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:35 AM
    I didn't vote yesterday.

I DO try to exercise my right to vote... but sometimes it's just not feasible.

While you are supposed to be allowed time from work to go vote, and the polls are open for a LITTLE while afterwards--the reality is that the economy is such that I JUST got this job, and I wasn't asking for a long lunch after less than a week to go vote.

Then, after work... the lines are LONG. I had things to get done, dinner to get on the table, laundry to do.

Had I been able to get through the line at lunch yesterday, I would have voted---but the line was an hour long, and I just couldn't wait.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:41 AM
    Synnen: please check in your state the new rules on voting; where I live, there is a one week period before the election to vote, as well as absentee voting, which has been around for years.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Oh, I know... but I didn't realize the lines would be so long, is all.

I went to vote, with my brand-spanking-new voter's registration card, and was amazed.

I just recently became a resident of MN again, after 10 years away. When I lived in Texas, it rarely (if ever!) took me longer than 20 minutes.

So... since I didn't PLAN to not vote yesterday, the absentee voting thing didn't work (you have to have it in advance, right?). Same with voting ahead of time.

I reallyjust had no idea that it would be so busy!
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:54 PM
    Why are all the US's voted held on a Tuesday and not a weekend when everyone can vote? We have compulsory voting down under here and election day is a Saturday. It is quite a simple process actually.
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
    Voting strategies in the US have emphasized suppressing 'their' vote as well as turning out 'your' vote. Check this: Why is Election Day the first Tuesday in November? — Infoplease.com
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
    That link you provided gives and explanation but in this day and age not a real valid one. Surely with today's technology and that little invention known as the motor car, the reason given that "since most residents of rural America had to travel a significant distance to the county seat in order to vote, Monday was not considered reasonable since many people would need to begin travel on Sunday and this would, of course, have conflicted with Church services and Sunday worship" does not really apply?
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2008, 12:22 AM
    Wow. How did I miss that in my history book... so often people go on about a division between church and state but we started our voting schedules around church schedules... something seems off about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Want to adopt but don't want to wait and don't have all the money [ 12 Answers ]

Ok first off Im a single mom to 1, my biological son is 2 almost 3. I love being a single mom, the only thing is I am 22 and can not adopt through an agency till Im 25. I wanted to have a sibling for my son by the time he was 3 or at least be talking about him getting one... I want him to be the...

I don't know what to do [ 5 Answers ]

I am sexualy active and About 2-3 weeks ago I had sex with my partner and he used a condom but before that I had started my birthcontrol and then I lost it so I stopped it and a couple days later I started my period it was kind heavy but not out of the normal heavy and it went away...

I don't know what to do! [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 15 years old and I've been sexually active for the past year. I make sure the dude wears a condomn but sometimes they didn't. Now I have a bad odor and I'm not sure if I have a disease or something. I want to go to the doctors but I can't unless my dad or stepmom takes me! But if they take me...

I don't know [ 1 Answers ]

Me And My Boyfriend Have Been Dating For 2 1/2 Years Now... just The Other Day We Got In This Huge Fight. It All Started When I Told Him That I Was Going To Go Out With My Girlfriends He Was Fine On The Day I Told Him But The Nexxt Day He Was Very Upset And Mad... we Have Promised Each other Not To...

I don't get it [ 12 Answers ]

NEW INFO. My sister took the ashes of my father and disposed of them with a perfect stranger and will not tell anyone where they are.. it has been ten years and she still won't tell anyone. None of my siblings seem to be mad at her for this but me. Am I wrong for being mad? And how do I deal...

View more questions Search