Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kittoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2006, 04:59 AM
    100% CPU usage due to a new hard disk,please help me
    I installed a new hard disk in my notebook as my older one got a failure.There is windows xp professional in the new one.The dilemma is that it is taking too much time to get started,almost 15 minutes.And also,after getting started,my notebook is working very slowly.Task manager is showing 100% CPU usage all the time.I don`t know which process is taking all the resources.Even P1 will be better than my notebook.Is there is any solution to this?
    The new hard disk is of 40 GB.My notebook is toshiba satellite A15 1292.It has 256 MB RAM,2.4 GHz,intel celeron mobile processor.It was working fine with the older hard disk.
    Please help me,tell me any solution.Please explain in detail as I don`t know any technical terms.I searched all over internet about this ploblem and got to know that this is quite common,but everybody has different reasons and solutions.I tried some solutions also like deleted some registry entries,which were mentioned on that site,and also uninstalled MS office,but nothing worked.Other solutions were containing very technical terms which I could not understand.So please tell me a step by step procedure for solving this problem.I will be glad to give any other info you want about my notebook.
    Please help me,I will be very thankful.
    Whiskey14 Posts: 219, Reputation: 16

Jan 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
    Hold down CTRL-ALT and DELETE at the same time, that weill bring up the Windows Task Manager, under the Processes tab, click MEM Usage. The program using the most memory is most likely the culprit.

Have you checked for viruses and/or spyware? Go to:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/d...d=ie&venid=sym

Click the GO button, then under Virus Detection, click Start. You might be told that you need to download and install ActiveX Contols for the scan to work, answer Yes.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: http://sarc.com/ and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually.

I would suggest downloading Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4, a program that removes spyware, available from:

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...d,22262,00.asp

Once installed, enable Tea Timer. Open the Spybot Search & Destroy, click the "+" sign next to Tools on the left side of the screen, click System Startup, then on the right side of the page check HK_CU Run Spybot Tea Timer.

The Resident TeaTimer is a new tool of Spybot-S&D which perpetually monitors the processes called/initiated. It immediately detects known malicious processes wanting to start and terminates them giving you some options, how to deal with this process in the future.

Check for updates before running. If you have trouble getting the updates, near the top of the Update Window, click the little arrow next See-Cure #1(Europe), highlight the next one on the list, See-Cure #2 and try to download the updates. If that doesn't work, try the next one the list. Until you get one you can download from. Being a free program, if too many people are using the same site to download the updates, some people will not get them.

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14

Hope this helps!
    Whiskey14
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Spyware is a possibility, but it sounds like you installed a hard drive with the operating system already installed on it. If this is the case, I would suspect mismatched drivers running on your system. If this is a relatively clean installation I would recommend that you use your recovery CD (if you have one) and let it re-install the OS on this drive. That way you'll get the proper drivers for your laptop installed.

Alternatively, if you can locate the drivers directly, try updating them in your current system.

And remember - do a backup if there's anything you'll miss on the system.

Good Luck
    kittoo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2006, 01:38 PM
    Nothing workrd.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Formatting the Hard disk [ 7 Answers ]

Hi All, I have a harddisk of 80GB pre installed with Win98 SE. The hard disk is not partitioned and the entire disk is being used as a whole. I would like to create the partitions for the harddisk of 8GB each. But I heard that the standard FDisk option would not be suitable to format...

Hard disk problem [ 4 Answers ]

Hai, This is sandeep kumar. I am having problem with my hard disk which is seagate. Till day before yesterday it was working fine. But today it is not even detecting. I am in confusion what to do. I don't know what may be the problem in tha disk. So can you please suggest me what may be the...

Cannot access hard disk [ 5 Answers ]

I have 2 HDs on my XP sysyem.Suddenly,I cannot access the slave,boot up locks up on"verifying DMI pool data". If I disconnect D: all is well.If I define d: as master and diconnect c:,I can then boot up from floppy and access the drive. The drive (20GIG) has partitions primary 8,extended 19+ and I...

Hard Disk - Bad Clusters [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All I was getting physical problem in my hard disk C: drive, on scanning I got 11 bad clusters , also it was mentioned that from now onwards these bad clusters will not be used for data storage . Now I want to upgrade to WIN XP from 98 , so please tell me what should I do for that, and...

Windows 98 and 120 gig hard disk? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using Windows98se and want to get a 120 gig hard disk. Can anyone tell me what is the maximum size partition I can use with Windows 98se. I've heard that with large hard disks NTFS format is better/more effeicient. Is this so? And how much difference would it make. I'd rather not have to go to...

View more questions Search