Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hpdnycol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2004, 02:51 PM
    Address Book
    I keep getting rejected messages that I haven't sent.It looks as if someone has gotten into a mailbox that has coded my address with a two letter suffix before the legit addy. It usually happens on the weekends, showing up on Mondays mail. How can I find out whose Address list has been hijacked ? Or is it mine. I have Win XP and believe my mail is Outlook Express. >:(
    cremedies Posts: 304, Reputation: 0

Oct 17, 2004, 09:44 AM
    I would first run a full virus scan to rule out your own system as the culprit. Go to www.trendmicro.com and use their free online virus scanner. It is very effective at removing viruses. Overall, I trust trend micro and AVG more than Norton and some of the other paid AV software on the market. Others may disagree as everyone has a favorite.

This is just my own opinion and experience based on running my own computer repair business for the last 4 years.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2004, 01:00 AM
    A good little tip is to enter a contact with an address of something like "[email protected]" in your address book. This obviously incorrect email will be at the top of the list when the emails are ordered alphabetically.

Now if a virus uses your address book to forward itself on (which it sounds like has happened), it will hit this email and fail. Because it couldn't send the email, the virus will stop trying to send emails to the remainder of your address book. You also get a "failed to send" email in your inbox so you know when something has accessed your address book.

But as the last response says - get a virus scanner. A firewall might be useful too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Protect Address Book. Can This Be True? [ 6 Answers ]

Below is a e-mail I received from a friend today, sounds good, in fact to good to be true,maybe someone has more info,on this subject I checked"snopes", & hoaxbusters, they had nothing!! Here it is: [email protected]". Subject: email address book HOW TO PROTECT YOUR ADDRESS BOOK! I...

Address book/Incoming? [ 1 Answers ]

I received a notice of a Harris interactive survey today. It had this notice: ''Make Sure Your Voice is Heard: To ensure that our email keeps getting through to you, please add our email address to your address book - [email protected]. This will help us deliver our survey invitations to your...

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Headings Not Visible in Outlook Address Book [ 3 Answers ]

I have been gradually switching over my names & business contacts to Outlook Express. The list is expanded to include a lot more info like Bus Name address phone fax etc. When I am finished I cannot view the business name etc. All I see are Surname, First Name email and phone numbers. ...

View more questions Search