Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AnNie54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 07:35 PM
    Adopt my boyfriends son who is a sbs survivor
    I want to adopt my boyfriend son once, we are married the baby is 3 yrs,old about a 1 1/2 yrs ago the baby was shaken by the mothers boyfriend and has lost all rights to her son except visitaion every week for 4 hr. would we still need her to sign papers allowing me to adopt him even though my boyfriend has full rights to him?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 07:40 PM
    Yes, she still have some rights, * you mentioned the visitation, so she still have rights, and yes she will have to sign them over before you can adopt.
    AnNie54 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 08:28 PM
    A little more in depth
    What if she has only monitored visits not allowed to be alone with the child the father has full physical and legal custody of the child, the mother does not pay child support or even show up for her visitation regularly she would still have to sign papers to let me adopt him
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Yes.

Unless the state has completely severed her parental rights (not likely) she still has them.

You can't just take someone's baby from them without their consent in this country, without going through the courts to prove that they are a continued danger to the child.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2008, 09:47 AM
    I've merged your two threads. Its usually best to keep the thread together. If you want further follow-up then add a reply to the thread.

As noted for you to adopt, it has to be ordered by a Family Court. A Family Court judge is not going to just take away the mother's rights. You NEED to get an attorney to show you the way to deal with this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can adopt my wife's son (my step son) [ 3 Answers ]

My wife's ex husband doesn't really take care of his son. He doesn't call or anything. The only thing that we get is approximately $45 every 2-3 weeks but that amount varies. I on the other hand have been providing everything for my wife's son even before we got married since her son was about 3...

My ex boyfriends estranged wife tried to kidnap my son [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have a 9 year old son who I have full custody of him right now his father resides in Michigan state I reside in Indiana state my ex boyfriend is my sons father he was remarried or married to this lady she is canadian citizen she had a argument to my ex in dearborn Michigan with my ex which...

Adopting my boyfriends son [ 1 Answers ]

My boyfriends son's bio. Mother past away. Can I adopt him if we are not married?

How can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I got married in February of 2006. My son was born in June of 2005. The biological father is not in the picture and I would like to know how my husband can adopt my son. We have been looking into him adopting my son since we got married and we haven't been able to find out any information. ...

View more questions Search