Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BoiseGuy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 07:23 PM
    Form 843
    Hello,
    I wanted to clarify a question about filing Form 843 for refund of medicare and social security taxes. I was a student on OPT from start of 2007 to Sep 30, 2007. From Oct 1st my H1b started. How can I compute the amount for refund?

Will it be all right to look into the pay slips I got till Sep 30 and give that amount to request a refund? (if this is the case so, my last pay slip for the month of sep was on the 22nd.so we need to account for the last one week)?

BoiseGuy.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 05:15 AM
    Did you get W2?
    You should get two separate W2s, one for income during OPT and other for income during H1B.

Feb 6, 2008, 06:13 AM
    No, I just got one W2. Should I talk to my employer about this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 8, 2008, 10:29 PM
    Figure out what your average daily wage was, then multiply it by 6.2% of Social Security and 1.45% for Medicare, times 273 days (1 Jan to 30 Sep 07).

Grade school math!

Feb 9, 2008, 07:40 AM
    Wow, it's that simple!
    Thank you Atlanta Expert!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 13, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Yes, it is that simple.

When you look at most tax calculations, it is normally grade school math.

The trick is know the rules! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-OPT SSN, Medicare Taxes form 843 filed [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I worked on OPT from may 15th 2006 to nov 30th 2006 and my employer Deducted the SSN and medicare taxes. During the beginning of 2007, not knowing About filing 843, I filed form 1040EZ with my husband who is a resident alien for Tax purposes. However, during July 2007 I filed...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

Form 843 abatement explanation [ 1 Answers ]

Due to a business that went bad I have 4 quarters of 941 taxes that are unpaid. I spoke with the IRS and they said to pay the tax owed and file Form 843 with a request for abatement of penaties and interest. I am in the process of doing this but would like any insight, hints, information, etc on...

Last date to file Form 843 [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any last date to file Form 843(to claim Social and Medicare taxes that have been withheld while on OPT)? Thanks,

View more questions Search