Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phbgo135 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 04:17 PM
    401k early dstribution penalty and income tax
    I received an early distribution on my 401k. My understanding is that the 10% penalty is assessed first and then they deduct the taxes. Are both of those calculated on the top figure value of the account. Is the 10% penalty tax deductable? Can any part of the penalty be used to satisfy the income tax owed on the distribution?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 5, 2008, 04:20 PM
    The 10% is based on the total amount of the distribution. So is the tax liability. The 10% is not deductible.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Agreed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Early distribution 10% penalty [ 3 Answers ]

From October 2006 through third week in December 2006 I was out of work with umbilical hernia on disability. My job was in an office sitting at a desk. I was cleared and returned to work for the final week in December 2006. Starting in January 2007 I began delivering heavy boxes of food for a...

401k Early withdrawal penalty [ 2 Answers ]

I am wondering how much of a penalty I will have to pay if I clean out my IRA early?

Early 401K Withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

What Is The Penalty For One Who Withdraws 401k Funds Before Age 591/2

401K early withdrawal penalty [ 1 Answers ]

This may sound like a stupid question, but, please understand that I am an artist -- not a money person. If you take an early withdrawal from a 401K plan, pay the 20% state and federal tax before receiving the disbursement, how do you claim all this on the tax form? Can you use the EZ forms or do...

401k early withdrawal and 10% penalty [ 2 Answers ]

In regard to an early 401k withdrawal, can someone advise if the 10% penalty is calculated on the amount AFTER the 20% withholding, or is it on the amount of the original withdraw? (e.g. If you withdraw $10,000 from your 401k early, and the company withholds 20%=$2000; are you then required to pay...

View more questions Search