Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    abel2121 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 02:06 PM
    Starting an Talent Agency in Texas
    I'm looking for information on how to start a Talent Agency in TX, I have reviewed the Talent Agencies Administrative Rules for TX. I'm just starting and I don't have the 10k for the bond, how can I go around this without braking any laws, also if I can't which I know will be the answer is there anyway for a small business to get bonded? I'm not to sure that I understand the surety bond and what its for to start a Talent Agency. If anyone can explain to this Mexican(t) LOL - I would appreciate it. Thanks
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2008, 01:17 AM
    I do apologize that no one has come along to respond to your question. So, I thought that I would give it a shot. I don't know the specifics for Texas about what you are asking. And, I do not like referring you to a different site. But, you might find some sites with information helpful to you on the following link. Starting a Talent Agency Surety Bond - Google Search
    oneguyinohio Posts: 1,302, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Numerous companies will provide bonds. You pay them a yearly fee to obtain that bond. The fees will vary based on industries. The more liability that a particular industry is exposed to, the higher the price of the bond. Many trade groups offer a list of or recommend insurance companies that provide the bond... This is done as a service to the members of the trade group.

Often, an independent insurance agent can also sell you a yearly policy from a bonding company.

Starting such an agency, you should have a number of contacts available to you who are actually looking for talent. I don't know if you are thinking of acting talent or musical or what... but you should have contacts in what ever field you deal with.

There are unfortunately many agencies that promote themselves as talent agencies, but do little more than charge a fee to take some pictures and make up a portfolio without any results for the custumers.

Without being able to show a track record of some successful placements, it would be hard to remain in business very long.

Do you have an idea of what type of talent or how you might promote those people to the industry? What will you provide to people who want to use your service? Who will pay? The talent or the person hiring them?
    TalentNetwork Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2008, 04:19 AM
    Hello... I just stumbled onto this site while looking for the same info myself. I am relocating to Texas at the beginning of May and I have been coaching my daughter in the talent industry for 11 years. I myself am interested in starting something as a side business along the field you are looking into. I would like to teach kids to bring out personality in front of the camera. This has been my passion since I was a teen. My daughter will be 13 in May. People always ask me why I don't Manage my daughter myself since I have done so well with coaching her. Well due to the time it takes to hunt down legit castings and contacts and the money it will cost to travel if she landed a roll in another area so I have decided to stick with an agent so basically she is a needle in a hay stack. So are you looking into starting up a talent agency on-line or a full service agency? Let me know because I will give you my info if I start up coaching kids for camera. I can also give you information about talent agencies, auditions, interviews, and what parents want given the experience I have had with several agencies in and around the Seattle area.
    [Personal email address removed for privacy.]
    mbee04 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2009, 01:55 PM
    I was reading your message from last year and wanted to know if you ever moved to Texas, and have you got into the Talent Agency?
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentNetwork View Post
    Hello...I just stumbled onto this site while looking for the same info myself. I am relocating to Texas at the beginning of May and I have been coaching my daughter in the talent industry for 11 years. I myself am interested in starting something as a side business along the field you are looking into. I would like to teach kids to bring out personality in front of the camera. This has been my passion since I was a teen. My daughter will be 13 in May. People always ask me why I don't Manage my daughter myself since I have done so well with coaching her. Well due to the time it takes to hunt down legit castings and contacts and the money it will cost to travel if she landed a roll in another area so I have decided to stick with an agent so basically she is a needle in a hay stack. So are you looking into starting up a talent agency on-line or a full service agency? Let me know because I will give you my info if I start up coaching kids for camera. I can also give you information about talent agencies, auditions, interviews, and what parents want given the experience I have had with several agencies in and around the Seattle area.
    [Personal email address removed for privacy.]

Jun 11, 2009, 12:13 PM
    I did move to Houston Texas last year. I have now officially been a Texan for 1year and 1month. Still trying to adjust. I have not joined any kind of talent agency or started any kind of business to work with children focused on their talent career. It is still a huge passion of mine. I have been able to get my daughter auditions with Nickelodeon and Disney for some shows that are coming out. My daughter is performing in High School Musical in two weeks and she was given the part of Gabriel the lead teen girl. As far as starting my own thing it's really hard when I have to work full time but I was thinking of maybe starting 2 days a week for training. So why do you ask?

Jun 11, 2009, 12:28 PM
    I wanted to know was it hard for you to start a the business. It seems we have the same passion, and we both have kids, working full time jobs. Maybe we can team up to try to get a business started. I'm in the Dallas market.

Jun 11, 2009, 12:46 PM
    So you are in Dallas... I have ideas on come classes I would like to hold and things like that which would allow some additional income while doing something I like. What are your ideas?

Jun 11, 2009, 12:54 PM
    Guess I should have used spell check first... I was trying to multi task and not very well I might add... So you are in Dallas... I have ideas on some classes I would like to hold and things like that which would allow some additional income while doing something I like. What are your ideas?

Jun 11, 2009, 01:11 PM
    I want to work with kids, classes, helping with resumes, photo's.

Jun 11, 2009, 01:19 PM

Was it hard hooking up with Nickelodeon and Disney?

Jun 11, 2009, 01:27 PM
    Was it hard getting auditions with Nickelodeon and Disney?

Jun 11, 2009, 01:29 PM

Was it hard getting in with Nickelodeon and Disney

Jun 11, 2009, 02:14 PM
    We are not with Nickelodeon or Disney at this time. My daughter will keep trying but it's hard when we are not in LA or close to where they do their regular taping for the shows. I just created a DVD demo reel and had some professional photos taken and wrote up a resume. I went through a list of directors and casting agents and started sending out packages to them to keep on file.

Jun 11, 2009, 03:08 PM

I want to work with kids, classes, helping with resumes, photo's.

Jun 11, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Is it hard finding Good Agents in Houston?

Jun 11, 2009, 04:26 PM
    It has been hard for me because everyone wants to be a part of that special agency that sees something in you or your child. Someone that believes in them as much as you do but most of the agencies that I try to get you into their school and sell you photographs/head shots. Don't get me wrong. I know that it does take money for training but not the ridiculous prices that these schools are charging. The classes were really small the teachers were unprofessional. My child was in a class called acting for film. There wasn't even a camera so they could see the outcome of their ability through the eyes of the camera. Some of the stuff you would need to know would be facial expression and body positioning for the camera. This was a $1,600 dollar class. But that's how it goes. Just trying to weed through all of the frauds out there.

Jun 11, 2009, 10:52 PM

I agree with you. The agents wants you to take their expensive classes and head shots. That's why I want to start a talent agency myself. I have some really food ideals. Going through the rat race I'm going through with my kids is the same as yours. I have done the classes and taken the photos.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jun 11, 2009, 11:18 PM

Thread is now very old and sufficient answers have been given.

Thread is now CLOSED.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Business Plan for starting a talent agency [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find a sample business plan for starting my own talent agency specializing in booking tribute artists and celebrity impersonators?

Starting a Talent Agency [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking to start a model/talent agency in Indiana. How do I go about becoming a licensed talent agent. My office will be located in Indiana but my talent will secure most work in the Chicago land area. Please help me with any information you may have. 3 Sandra

Starting a talent agency [ 1 Answers ]

Do I need a special business license to legally act as a talent agency? Thanks!

Starting a talent agency [ 5 Answers ]

How do I start a still photo talent agency

View more questions Search