Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    i8fungus Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2008, 02:03 PM
    NYS disability payments
    Where would I find the amount of income I need to report on my taxes from disabilty payments I receved. Would it be on my w-2 or would I receive some sort of 1099. I do not have it on my w-2 nor have I received any form from anywhere. Thanks. Mike.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 03:26 PM
    You don't report your income from disability. You only report your income if you earned any other money to the IRS.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 03:22 PM
    That is not necessarily true.

If YOU paid the disability insurance premiums, then disability is totally tax-free.

If your EMPLOYER paid the premiums, then disability is taxable as a replacement for earned income.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NYS no fault insurance [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if my friend has any grounds to file a law suit. Recently, my friend was involved in a automobile accident in NY. My friend was traveling westbound and had a collision with another driver at a controlled intersection. The other driver was making a left turn going north. This...

Live in NYS/Work in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I am a NYS resident. I am being transferred to our company office in NJ. Will my employer withhold taxes now BOTH for NYS and NJ? Will I get all my money back from NJ since I am not a NJ resident? Should I file with my employer a NJ form with so many exemptions that they can't withhold any...

Garnishments in Ohio of private disability payments [ 8 Answers ]

I believe I have a winnable case against an EX. My question is can I garnish her private disability payments. She was working for a company when she was diagnosed with Lupis and went on full disability. The company she was working for had private disability insurance, my understanding this isn't...

Child support in NYS [ 3 Answers ]

I reside in New York state and receive child support from the state's support enforcement unit. Is it true that they actually earn interest somehow on my money? If yes, how can that be legal? It is my money, so any interest earned on it should go to me!!

Teacher retirement disability and social security disability [ 1 Answers ]

I qualified for both teacher retirement disability and social security disability. I saw the quote (below) but I'm uncertain how or if it also applies to me. "If the disability comes from Social Security, it is tax free. If it comes from your employer, it IS taxable." Also, my son...

View more questions Search