Ask
    clinton mccoy Posts: 47, Reputation: 15

Feb 5, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Black President
    Is America ready for a black president?
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 11:40 AM
    I think so, but I don't know if they're ready for Obama. A CNN poll said "Seventy-two percent of white Americans and 61 percent of black Americans surveyed in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll ... say the nation is ready for a black commander in chief."

Personally, I just want the best (conservative) person for the job regardless of any of that other stuff.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Certainly if qualified, what makes you ask?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 11:43 AM
    Yes!

Feb 5, 2008, 11:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    I think so, but I don't know if they're ready for Obama. A CNN poll said "Seventy-two percent of white Americans and 61 percent of black Americans surveyed in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll ... say the nation is ready for a black commander in chief."

Personally, I just want the best (conservative) person for the job regardless of any of that other stuff.
    I want the best person also. To me the person that can cross party lines and gain support would be the person of my choice. I like a person who makes me feel like they would sit down and eat dinner with me.

Feb 5, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Certainly if qualified, what makes you ask?
    I just wanted to kind of take my own poll. As a black american I jut feel deep inside that the powers to be won't allow it. Am I wrong for thinking that way? I was Bill O'Rially lastnight and he called rapper 50 cent a pin head because he said "That someone wouldtry and kill Obama first." Some people thinks that is crazy to say but a lot of black people think this way. What say you?

Feb 5, 2008, 11:55 AM

Why does the person have to be conservative?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:01 PM
    There is no doubt in my mind that there are people out there that would try and kill him simply because he is Black. But then there are others that would try and kill any President based on their particular prejudice. It really hasn't been that long since Kennedy and that was simply for political reasons.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 12:06 PM
    I see and talk with people from all races and cultures during the day (public library). This is a Republican white-bread county, but I hear support and enthusiasm for Obama from whites, blacks, Asians (especially supportive), and some Latinos.

Obama is well-educated, smart, sensitive, open to ideas, well-spoken, an excellent writer, charismatic, and good-looking. On top of all that, he has a smart, charming, and pretty wife who is an even better spokesperson than he is.

What's not to like? He has never played the race card, as they call it, so when people look at him, they think "man" not "black man." His blackness is very much a part of who he is, but he doesn't flaunt it nor does he apologize for it. It gives him a broader understanding of being human, not only for the benefit of blacks but also for whites. What amazes me most is the enthusiastic support he is getting from Asians of all ages who traditionally stay apart from blacks. Apparently, they also see Obama, not so much as a black man, but as "a very special man."

If anyone can unite this country, it is Barack Obama.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clinton mccoy
    I like a person who makes me feel like they would sit down and eat dinner with me.
    That would be nice as well.

why does the person have to be conservative?
    Because I'm a conservative. :)

As to your question on 50 cent, I think any president is a target. I saw the video of him saying that and I think he was showing genuine concern, but my question is why? Why do "alot of black people think this way?"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 12:20 PM
    And what does experience really have to do with it? We've had an experienced president for eight years. He was a CEO and also a state governor. What path did he lead us down? Are we the better for his "experience"?

Lincoln had experience only as a country lawyer.

From a blog --

"With Barack, you get the best of several worlds, and I don't just mean culturally. You get his life experiences, his experiences as an elected official at the state and national levels, you get the experience of a guy who was the Democratic Party's top campaigner for the 2006 victory, and you get the national experience of a guy who has run a clean, up-beat presidential campaign that shows all signs of becoming a classic. The presidential campaign is designed to test if you are ready, and he has been acing the tests.

But, with him, you also get freshness, guts, newness, boldness of vision, boldness, ease and classiness of style. Barack is so very comfortable in his skin."
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:26 PM
    Is America ready for a black president?
    I honestly believe that Americans, at this very moment, are ready for a President who can lead this nation to great things.

I think Americans are just tired, just plain tired and I don't think any of us care at all what he or she looks like but just PLEASE give us back the reasons to stand tall and proud.
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:35 PM
    California alone is a more complex state to govern today than America in Lincoln's time. Just because you believe experience failed us with Bush is no reason to through it out the window. Companies hire experienced individuals who fail at their job all the time but they don't change the ad to “inexperienced driver needed.”

Barack is smart and personable, I grant that, but he has never “Ran” anything in comparison to Mitt and that is important. I prefer to go with probabilities rather than possibilities.

Feb 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
    That would be nice as well.

Because I'm a conservative. :)

As to your question on 50 cent, I think any president is a target. I saw the video of him saying that and I think he was showing genuine concern, but my question is why? Why do "alot of black people think this way?"
    I think because we still feel racial tension even when it is hidden. I have asked 5 blacks that question today if they feel there would be a genuine attack on Obama and everyone said yes. I work on a college campus, and I also attend, so these are not uniformed blacks. We are ground zero so we see it for what it is, while maintaining hope for what it might can become. Hopefully it is just social paranoia, but I doubt it. What say you?
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:43 PM
    I think because we still feel racial tension even when it is hidden. I have asked 5 blacks that question today if they feel there would be a genuine attack on Obama and everyone said yes. I work on a college campus, and I also attend, so these are not uniformed blacks. We are ground zero so we see it for what it is, while maintaining hope for what it might can become. Hopefully it is just social paranoia, but I doubt it. What say you?
    Clinton,

I will be very honest with you. I am white and I had the same fear. I guess that history is not that far back and the thought did scare and sadden me very much. It hurts me to say that because I can't imagne how that makes you or any black person feel. But it did scare me.

I hope it is just paranoia on my part and I had a simliar fear for Hilary.

But Clinton, my own shadow scares me and I worry about everyone and everything.
    I think 99% of America is made up of beautiful people, but there are those who are ill and it is those that I worry about.

Feb 5, 2008, 12:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    And what does experience really have to do with it? We've had an experienced president for eight years. He was a CEO and also a state governor. What path did he lead us down? Are we the better for his "experience"?

Lincoln had experience only as a country lawyer.

From a blog --

"With Barack, you get the best of several worlds, and I don't just mean culturally. You get his life experiences, his experiences as an elected official at the state and national levels, you get the experience of a guy who was the Democratic Party's top campaigner for the 2006 victory, and you get the national experience of a guy who has run a clean, up-beat presidential campaign that shows all signs of becoming a classic. The presidential campaign is designed to test if you are ready, and he has been acing the tests.

But, with him, you also get freshness, guts, newness, boldness of vision, boldness, ease and classiness of style. Barack is so very comfortable in his skin."
    I agree: I have just moved to Obama sided within the last two weeks he even have republicans that will vote for him. I like someone who will brigde gaps not bring division.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
    My mother has to be about the most racist person alive, she would be too hateful for the KKK most likely. But given the choices she has to vote for, I even heard her say she would vote for Obama since anything else would be a lot worst for America.
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 12:50 PM
    I have to agree. I think the experience thing is something that some want to hang their hat on.

He can surround himself with those who do have experience. What I like is maybe he is not jaded as much as the others who have been around longer.

I, at this point am not sure who I am voting for - I just hope and pray that we as a Country get the best one... no matter what party affliation, gender or race.

Feb 5, 2008, 01:06 PM
    [QUOTE=Dark_crow]California alone is a more complex state to govern today than America in Lincoln’s time. Just because you believe experience failed us with Bush is no reason to through it out the window. Companies hire experienced individuals who fail at their job all the time but they don’t change the ad to “inexperienced driver needed.”

Barrack is smart and personable, I grant that, but he has never “Ran” anything in comparison to Mitt and that is important. I prefer to go with probabilities rather than possibilities.[/QUOT It is not about who is the best number cruncher, there will be advisers for that, In politics you need to be able to build coalitions to get the job done, or a bill passed. Not coalitions of fear like some of our previous,or current presidents and senators. Maybe Mitt would be a good financial advisor to the next president?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 01:08 PM
    And as most know I am a very "right" wing person, but given who I think will end up on the rep ticket, I most likely will vote Dem for the president for the first time ever.

My main concern is he would end up like Jimmy Carter, no real politial ties and people owing favors to get anything done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

View more questions Search