Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by clinton mccoy
    What if a republican were to choose colin powell as running mate would that shake things up forthe Dems? Wow!
    Powell's wife wouldn't allow him to run for president, so I doubt she'd allow him to run as VP. He has lost status anyway because of his support and argument for the Iraq invasion. But he would have been my choice had he run for president.
    clinton mccoy Posts: 47, Reputation: 15

Feb 5, 2008, 05:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Powell's wife wouldn't allow him to run for president, so I doubt she'd allow him to run as VP. He has lost status anyway because of his support and argument for the Iraq invasion. But he would have been my choice had he run for president.
    But would it help Reps?
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 05:46 PM

He would have been a serious consideration of mine as well. I didn't know she didn't want him to run. I can't say I blame her. It really puts your whole life out there and the lives of anyone close to you. That's pretty tough. And he has contributed so much to this country to date, but I sure hope the Mrs. changes her mind, would make things so interesting and he would add so much to the ticket as well as the office.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 5, 2008, 05:48 PM
    Got to spread the love, Allheart...

Obama-Powell -- woo hoo!!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2008, 06:07 PM
    My problem is id prefer powell as a potential #1, at least for the primary parades. Now, understand that I'm not saying id vote for him #1, and I know he's not going to run... I don't understand half of his positions... but he seemed at least like a man of integrity and conviction.

Maybe its wrong, but he is a man I would be excited about if nothing else, for the fact he seemed transparent... no pretense.

Yes... he went in front of the UN and talked about WMD's in iraq... I believe he believed it... and he has always struck me as one of those men who were, unfortunately (? ), above the noise of politics.

I saw a link today that listed the top donors to the top two in each party... you know what was surprising?

All the same big political donors were the same.

Didn't matter if it was clinton, obama, romney, or mccain. Its like they'll try to buy whomever gets in no matter the result.

Wish I could find the link...
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2008, 09:43 PM
    My thought on this is, certainly, the US will elect a black and/or female president. But it won't be a liberal. For that reason, I do not project Ms. Clinton or Mr. Obama as the next president because the Democrat Party has become too marginalized.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 07:28 AM
    Do you know I have not watched t.v. since the cowboys lost, lol!
    Not me, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Pats get spanked :D

It is not an issue that slows me down but it is real, on all sides not just black & white. It is not just me, ask 10 people from any race you know and see what they say? Listen I do not care if some is a racist or not, that is up to them, just as long as I am treated the way I present myself. For example> If bush is racist I still respect that he has put blacks into higher position in government than any other president> .
    Great for you, press on... I like that attitude.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 08:56 AM
    Is America ready for a black president?
    Obama had a solid showing yesterday in the primary votes . He is going to take the fight all the way to the convention floor I believe and hope. (would love to see some serious fratricide in the Dem. Ranks ) But the point is ;that he is a serious contender and given the right opponent (like the Huckster) I think he could win.

I agree with the other experts who have pointed out other imminently qualified black candidates .It is also encouraging that despite slick Willie's antics ,the race issue has been kept to a minimum.
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Barack Obama was able to prove that he could win the white vote. And that showed up in states like Utah, North Dakota, Colorado – places where the African American population is very small.

I hope it's a close match to the very end... that will help the Republicans:p

Feb 6, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_crow
    Barack Obama was able to prove that he could win the white vote. And that showed up in states like Utah, North Dakota, Colorado – places where the African American population is very small.

I hope it's a close match to the very end...that will help the Republicans:p
    I was not surprised with how hucklebee turned out he seems more genuine than the rest of the Reps. Lastnight was the first night Mitt seemed humble and human. What say you?
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 12:19 PM
    Mccoy

Senator John McCain's huge win beating Mitt Romney was no surprise to me. I am sure that was a humbling experience for Mitt, who was not long ago, far ahead of McCain.

One of my concerns about Mitt is that like the Democrats he will embrace a protectionist economic policy that would harm economic interests not only in America but in some other countries as well.

Feb 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
    Mccoy

Senator John McCain’s huge win beating Mitt Romney was no surprise to me. I am sure that was a humbling experience for Mitt, who was not long ago, far ahead of McCain.

One of my concerns about Mitt is that like the Democrats he will embrace a protectionist economic policy that would harm economic interests not only in America but in some other countries as well.
    But at some point you have to stop the flow of blood before you can even start operating. I think Mitts foreign policy solution will be based on ecconomics. You know when the dollar comes first a lot of people can get stepped on. Look how many people were laid of from the business he helped to make more money. He is a number cruncher he sees wins by the numbers. That will not help the country to regain the moral high road we once had. You need that in foreign policy. I like the candidate that, at leaste makes me "feel" he, will sit down and eat dinner with me. Do you get that from McCain, Hillary, Mitt?
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2008, 12:45 PM
    But at some point you have to stop the flow of blood before you can even start operating. I think Mitts foreign policy solution will be based on ecconomics. You know when the dollar comes first a lot of people can get stepped on. Look how many people were laid of from the business he helped to make more money. He is a number cruncher he sees wins by the numbers. That will not help the country to regain the moral high road we once had. You need that in foreign policy. I like the candidate that, at leaste makes me "feel" he, will sit down and eat dinner with me. Do you get that from McCain, Hillary, Mitt?
    I prefer eating KFC chicken with my hands, unlike Mitt who uses a plastic knife and fork.

Seriously, what is the moral high road; it might be different for two people. The high moral ground in foreign policy for me is to make liberty and the pursuit of happiness available to all humans.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 01:11 PM

I hope it's a close match to the very end...that will help the Republicans:p
    And now he is picking up much of the black vote that was holding with clinton early on... she was a "known quantity" and he wasn't... once he solidly competed in states with small minority populations it seemed to "validate" his chances... not that a white vote is worth more... it's that, I think, some would have seen it as "throwing away" their vote if the candidate wasn't "viable."

That's one reason why, no matter if he wins the nomination or election, I think this seems like a different election process. Obama never tried to play off race (even if some are excited to potentially have a black nominee) and he has challenged well without it. Whereas I think clinton, through her husband, has tried to play off her gender... when bill says tongue in cheek that he "cant make her" a younger, male candidate... he's trying to guilt the people who find obama charismatic and energetic... which is ironic because I think he had that "role" against g.h.w.bush first time through.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2008, 01:13 PM
    I prefer eating KFC chicken with my hands, unlike Mitt who uses a plastic knife and fork.

Seriously, what is the moral high road; it might be different for two people. The high moral ground in foreign policy for me is to make liberty and the pursuit of happiness available to all humans.
    Is the moral high road refusing to use the spork? ;)
    al1012 Posts: 27, Reputation: 3
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 01:31 PM
    My dad keeps talking about if we do get a black president he will be assand
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by al1012
    my dad keeps talking about if we do get a black president he will be assand
    Any color president could be assassinated. In fact, even white ones have been assassinated.

If Al Sharpton or Alan Keyes or even Jesse Jackson were the black candidate, I might agree with you. Not so much with Obama. He doesn't play the race card and is well-liked by a majority of white and black men.

Of course, it only takes one unbalanced person...
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 01:44 PM
    Any color president could be assassinated. In fact, even white ones have been assassinated.

If Al Sharpton or Alan Keyes or even Jesse Jackson were the black candidate, I might agree with you. Not so much with Obama. He doesn't play the race card and is well-liked by a majority of white and black men.

Of course, it only takes one unbalanced person....
    I was thinking we have had only white it would be cool to have a black 1 but still he has a higher chance to be assassinated :confused:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 6, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by al1012
    i was thinking we have had only white it would be cool to have a black 1 but still he has a higher chance to be assassinated :confused:
    I don't believe that at all, and I'm lily white.

If anyone has gotten respect from people, it is Obama. I would more likely expect Clinton or Romney to be assassinated long before Obama.
    -

Feb 6, 2008, 01:52 PM
    I don't believe that at all, and I'm lily white.

If anyone has gotten respect from people, it is Obama. I would more likely expect Clinton or Romney to be assassinated long before Obama.
    OK you I guess your right I think it would sux if a girl was priz... well to most people *not trying to be sexest*

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

If you were president [ 9 Answers ]

If you were president what would you do to fix the Untied States problems.

View more questions Search